Homework Hero Academic Mentoring
Eastern Illinois University Housing and Dining Homework Hero’s Academic Mentoring Program is designed to support and promote academic excellence within the Eastern Illinois University live-on communities. The program offers an avenue for residents to connect with another student in a certain academic concentration. The relationship between the resident and mentor will provide assistance with materials presented in classes, as well as provide general academic advice from personal and academic experiences of the mentor.
The goal of the Homework Hero Academic Mentoring Program is to strengthen residents’ academic skills and experiences, learn about appropriate campus resources to help address any concerns, and provide personal experiences and advice from a mentor in that particular academic field.
All Homework Hero Academic Mentors are volunteers that share interest in helping their peers achieve their academic goals, as well as serve as a personal connection to Eastern Illinois University and their academic field.
To volunteer to be a Homework Hero Academic Mentor, a student must:
- Have a major in a particular field (cannot be an undeclared major)
- Have a 2.75 Cumulative GPA
- Have a flexible schedule that would allow for one meeting a week (depending on your mentee)
- Be passionate about serving as a mentor
There are several benefits to being a Homework Hero: (Sign-up to be a Homework Hero Academic Mentor)
- Accumulate service hours
- Can be documented through Office of Community Service and signed off by Homework Hero Chair (Thalia Frederick).
- Develop interpersonal skills
- Grow as a student leader on campus
- Strengthen your own knowledge
- Make an impact in someone’s life
- List this experience on your résumé
- Be a mentor!
Here are some things a Homework Hero may assist with: (Request a Homework Hero Academic Mentor)
- Your homework
- Monitor your academic progress
- Direct you to Student Success Center or Writing Center and other valuable resources on campus
- Assist you with setting academic goals
- Provide personal experiences and knowledge in a specific academic field