Weller Hall opened in 1960 and was built at a cost of $530,000. It housed 150 freshmen and sophomore female students. Weller Hall was named for Annie Weller who was born in 1874 and was a graduate of the University of Chicago. She served Eastern from 1903 to 1940. Miss Weller taught geography, and was the head of the Geography Department for many years. At the dedication ceremony for the building named in her honor, the Dean of Instruction stated “Annie Weller – the words ‘animated’ and ‘radiant’ belong to her. Hundreds of alumni would testify that the words ‘beloved teacher’ describe her without exaggeration.” Miss Weller passed away on August 4, 1962 at her retirement home in Charleston.