Faculty Fellows - About the Program
Goals of the Program:
The Faculty Fellows program aims to provide a bridge between the formal academic program and the out-of-classroom learning and developmental activities of residents. Faculty Fellows will assist students and Residence Life staff in the development of intellectual, social, cultural and ethical dimensions of the residence halls providing them with an understanding of student life and opportunities to meet with students outside the classroom.
Would you like to become a Faculty Fellow? Apply Here
1. Meet and greet students and parents of move-in day. Seek opportunities to meet student’s parents/families, especially on opening day.
2. Participating in the Charleston Chew Program.
3. Establish relationships with residents in your residence hall. Ideas of ways to accomplish this include:
a. Consider participating in other events within the Residence Hall a few times each semester to continue building a strong relationship with students in that particular building. Your hall contact person will provide updates on scheduled hall events.
b. Communicate monthly with your faculty fellow team captain.
c. Provide annual feedback of the faculty fellow program.
Opening Day Synopsis (August)
Residents check in from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
-Faculty Fellows are asked to spend 2-3 hours in the assigned residence hall on move in day.
-Faculty Fellows should feel free to stop by the residence halls at any time during opening weekend to walk the residence hall floors and meet new residents.
Ideas for Involvement
There are many great ways for faculty members to be involved within the residence halls. Below is a list of programs and activities that have taken place in our halls over the past year.
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand
- Fundraising for Charities
- Homecoming Activities
- Kids and Friends Weekend
- Halloween Party Program
- Hello Dali Presentations
- Residence On Campus Festival (RocFest)
Get Creative, Create Your Own Event!
- Movie nights with discussion following
- Attend an EIU sporting event
- Collaborate on a integrated learning project to benefit the Charleston community
- Attend scheduled hall events
- Go to a Hall Council or Residence Hall Association meeting or event
- Game Night (i.e. Family Feud, Karaoke, Casino Night, etc.)
- Provide special topic based on the expertise of each faculty fellow in the area
- Meet for a meal in one of the Dining Centers
*If you, as a Faculty Fellow, would like to do programming in the Halls, you can request funding from the Housing and Dining Department.