Admission to the Pine Honors College

The Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College seeks diverse academically-talented students committed to joining our Honors community.  We have three different admission programs.
(1) Automatic admission for entering freshman students
(2) Dean's choice admission for entering freshman students
(3)Admission  for Continuing and Transfer students

(1) Automatic Admission for Entering Freshman Students

Entering freshmen with an ACT composite score of 26 or higher, or SAT score of 1260 or higher AND who are in the upper 10% of high school graduating class, or have a 3.5 final high school cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale) will be automatically admitted to the University Honors Program.  These students will receive admissions materials from the Pine Honors College upon their admission to the university.  If you don't receive a letter from Honors a few weeks after being admitted to EIU, please e-mail us.

(2) Dean's Choice Admission for Entering Freshman Students

Entering freshmen students who do not have both of the above criteria but who have demonstrated academic excellence or potential in other ways are encouraged to apply online using the application form (below).


(3) Current EIU Students and Transfer Students

Continuing Students can join Honors after their first semester. We generally admit students who have earned a GPA of 3.5 for at least 12 hours of post-secondary coursework (whether at EIU or elsewhere) but will consider applicants who have demonstrated academic excellence or potential in other ways.  If you are a current EIU student who would like to be in Honors please email our Honors Advisor, Sara Schmidt at with your e-number, current EIU GPA, and number of credits earned.

Students transferring to EIU from another post-secondary institution who have a GPA of 3.5 (on a 4 point scale) can also be admitted to university or departmental honors. Permission from the dean of the Honors College may be required for individuals on the borderline. Transfer students interested in joining the University Honors program should e-mail Director of Honors Student Affairs Dr. Tom Spencer with
their e-number, number of credits being transferred, prior institution GPA, and details about any prior involvement in a college honors program.

If you have questions about the admissions process, feel free to email the Honors College staff at or you may call us at 217-581-2017.