To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. A minor in History or its equivalent is also required. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the History MA program.
Applications are accepted any time. However, applicants for graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid must complete their file by March 1st to ensure full consideration.
Summary of Application Procedures
To the Graduate School:
1. Complete online application to Graduate School. Click here to access.
2. Official transcript from your undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate universities.
3. Check for $30.00.
To the History Department Graduate Coordinator:
1. Two or more confidential letters of recommendation, preferably from professors who know your work best and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
3. Completed online Application for Graduate Assistantship, while not mandatory, we encourage you to apply.
4. A typed "Statement of Personal Goals" (250-500 words). This should outline your reasons and purpose for seeking a Master of Arts in History at EIU.
5. A resume.
6. (Recommended) A Writing Sample. While not required for admissions, a polished writing sample that demonstrates both research and intellectual ability can be a factor in financial aid decisions.
7. (Optional) GRE general test scores.
For Additional Information/Application Forms:
Contact:Dr. Edmund Wehrle
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920