Open Session Schedules for 2013
Open sessions require no registration and are FREE to students. So be sure to stay updated on dates and locations and stop in for a fun learning event!
Rubber lovers open sessions teach students the basics for safer sex, including the 18 steps to proper condom usage. Upon completion of the session, students will receive one free safer sex packet per month for one year. Each session is approximately one hour.
- 8/22: Coleman Auditorium rm 1255, 7:30pm
- 8/27: Physical Science building rm 1205, 7:30pm
- 8/29: Coleman Auditorium rm 1255, 6pm
- 9/4: Coleman Auditorium rm 1255, 7:30pm
- 9/9: MLK Union Arcola/Tuscola rm, 7:30pm
- 9/17: MLK Union Arcola/Tuscola rm, 6pm
- 9/26: MLK Union Charleston/Mattoon rm, 6pm
- 10/7: Coleman Auditorium rm 1255, 7:30pm
- 10/15: MLK Union Arcola/Tuscola rm, 6pm
- 10/22: MLK Union Effingham rm, 6pm
- 10/30: MLK Union Charleston/Mattoon rm, 8:30pm
- 11/7: MLK Union Charleston/Mattoon rm, 6pm
- 11/12: MLK Union Arcola/Tuscola rm, 7pm
6pack open sessions are a series of presentations relating to alcohol risk factors, expectancies, interventions, and behaviors taught by our Substance Abuse Education Coordinator. All open sessions will be held in COLEMAN AUDITORIUM rm 1255 at 7:30pm
- 8/28: Sex and Booze: A program designed to provide students with an understanding of how alcohol consumption can play a role in making decisions regarding sex.
- 9/11: Bystander Intervention: This is an interactive presentation designed to engage and educate students on the topic of bystander intervention. Discussed are incidents in which an individual is encouraged to step up and intervene.
- 9/25: What is Your Motive?: IMAGE is a campus prevention program. IMAGE combines harm-reduction and abstinence based approaches when it comes to alcohol use.
- 10/2: Surviving Social Media with Lt. Brad Oyer: This open session will be presented by Lt. Brad Oyer, who will demonstrate to the students how social media plays a role in their lives. The presentation will be full of great information that you won't want to miss!
- 10/23: How to Stay Out of Trouble with the Law with Lt. Brad Oyer: Lt. Brad Oyer of the Charleston Police Department will provide students with information regarding policies on the topic of alcohol consumption.
- 11/6: Myth Busting Alcohol: This will be an interactive presentation that educates students on what many believe to be the effects of alcohol versus the actual effects. This presentation provides a lot of useful information while also keeping students engaged. This session will also emphasize the media's influence on alcohol use.
Sleep Open Session
Learn the importance of healthy sleep habits and ways to achieve those goals from our Community Organizing & Leadership Coordinator. All sessions meet in the MLK UNION MARTINSVILLE ROOM
- 9/5: 7pm
- 9/18: 7:30pm
- 10/3: 7pm
- 10/16: 8pm