Eastern Illinois University Logo
Health Service |



About the Medical Clinic

Additional Resources

AED Locations on Campus


Employment Opportunities

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Service Advisory Board


Policies & Forms

Printable Posters & Handouts

Prospective Students


Student Insurance


Hours & Location


All medical records are the property of the Health Service and are confidential. Student medical records will not be divulged to anyone, in or out of the university without the written permission from the student, except in the case of public health matters when certain reports on contagion are required by public health authorities.



We will use and protect your medical information in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1232g (“FERPA”). FERPA gives you certain rights to inspect your medical information, with certain limitations. FERPA also gives you the right to control our release of your medical information in most circumstances. We will obtain your consent before we release medical information about you, except where FERPA allows release without your consent. In addition to FERPA, we also follow relevant State and Federal law including, but not limited to, the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act; Illinois Medical Practice Act; Illinois Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code; Illinois AIDS Confidentiality Act; Genetic Information Privacy Act; Illinois Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act; and the Federal Drug Abuse, Prevention, Treatment and Comprehensive Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Prevention, Treatment, and Rehabilitation Act of 1970.


Patients who are not students at EIU are covered by the above State and Federal law with the exception of FERPA. The privacy rights of all patients are taken seriously by EIU Health Service.

Parental Consent

Students under the age of 18 must have parental consent prior to treatment at the Health Service. This may be provided by the signature of a parent or legal guardian on the lower portion of the Health Service Immunization Record received with the student's permit to enroll from the Admissions Office. This needs to be turned in by the first day of class.

Emergencies/Health Service Closed

When the Health Service is closed, students should contact Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center Emergency Room at 348-2551 for consultation prior to visit, unless telephoning delays urgent departure. The Health Service must be notified of all emergency room visits as soon as possible.

Illness and Class Attendance

A student whose instructor or employer requires documentation of an illness or other medical condition, treated by the University Health Service, may request a “Patient Receipt”. The receipt is generally available within 1-2 business days after a patient visit. Excused absences from class or work are at the discretion of the instructor or employer, not the Health Service.

Medical Withdrawal from EIU Procedures

  1. To request a medical withdrawal a student must provide the Health Service with a written request for withdrawal describing the medical reason for the withdrawal. Additionally, the student must explain how the illness or condition affected their ability to maintain their status as a student at the University and why withdrawing from courses through the regular process was not an option for them. "Incompletes" in courses may be arranged with the respective instructors at their discretion and may be an option for students to consider instead of a medical withdrawal.
  2. To request a medical withdrawal a student must also provide the Health Service with a letter from their treating physician recommending a withdrawal from the University for medical reasons. This letter must state the specific rationale of the recommendation, including why the illness or condition prevented the student from maintaining their status as a student at Eastern. The letter must also include the date of the onset of the illness or condition. (Onset date may determine if the student is entitled to any housing or registration refunds.) A statement recommending withdrawal without the supporting rationale will not be considered.
  3. A medical withdrawal hold will be placed on your records. In order to register for future semesters you must provide the Health Service with a letter from your doctor releasing you to return to school.
  4. Health Service will notify Registration, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Textbook Rental, Records and Housing, if you lived on campus.
  5. After your withdrawal has been granted, you will receive a statement from the Student Accounts office indicating how your withdrawal has affected your university account. A medical withdrawal may not exonerate you from your financial obligations with the university. Financial obligations could include tuition and fees, housing costs, outstanding fines, failure to return textbooks, repayment for financial aid, telephone bills, etc. Questions about financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid office at (217)581-3714. Other billing questions should be directed to the Student Accounts office at (217)581-3715.

Medical Withdrawals for Psychological Reasons are assessed by the EIU Counseling Center.