FCS 4275 Internship is an individually-planned work experience in a business or agency appropriate to the chosen area of academic specialization. Information related to internships in the School of Family & Consumer Sciences can be found on this website.
If you are interested in internship opportunities with the Walt Disney Company please view the Disney Internship Instructional Video (note that you can pause the video at any point). You can also visit our Disney College program website for more information.
Students: You can find information about the FCS internship program by reviewing our FCS 4275 Student Internship Instructional Video (note that you can pause the video at any point) and you can visit the FAQs page for specific information regarding the program and links to various forms and sites.
Site Supervisors: please go to our internship Site Supervisor page for further information and quick access to various forms.
The objectives of the internship are to 1) simulate a job search as you identify and secure an internship site appropriate to your professional goals, 2) provide a relevant professional experience equivalent to an entry-level position, and 3) allow for professional self-reflection.
In order to begin FCS 4275 Internship you must have:
- completed either FCS 3500 or FCS 4000 with a C or better,
- the Internship Preparation Assignment (also called the Internship Site Supervising Planning Assignment)
- Internship Application submitted by the due date (see below), and
- approval from the Coordinator of Experiential Learning, acting as a representative of the Chairperson of the School of Family & Consumer Sciences.
This pre-professional experience gives you the opportunity to put to practical use the knowledge and skills acquired as a student. It is expected that you will gain an understanding of the philosophy, organization, and “inner workings” of your site and become familiar with the roles, responsibilities, and limitations of FCS professionals.
Dues dates for the internship application (all paperwork will be submitted online):
- December 1st for Spring internships
- May 1st for Summer internships
- August 1st for Fall internships
Dr. Mikki Sherwood firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-581-6349, Klehm Hall 1030