FCS 1000 Foundations of Family & Consumer Sciences
Course Description: FCS 1000: (2-0-2)
Foundations of the discipline of family and consumer sciences, including history and mission; roles in meeting the needs of individuals and families; the integrative nature of the profession; and career opportunities.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- articulate the foundations of family and consumer sciences and the relationship to current and future professional directions;
- evaluate personal skills, interests, values, and abilities related to career development in family and consumer sciences;
- summarize research and professional resources related to all options of family and consumer sciences;
- explain elements and standards of ethical professional practice;
- differentiate among professional organizations related to the discipline;
- explain the interrelationships of public policy and family and consumer sciences;
- identify global issues and trends that impact the discipline; and initiate the development of a professional portfolio.