The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not, however, ensure admission into the English MA program. Although applications are accepted any time, applicants for graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid must complete their files by March 1st to ensure full consideration.
If you are applying for fall 2015, please make sure that all application materials are received by February 28, 2015.
International students will find helpful information here: http://www.eiu.edu/~interntl/gapplicants.php.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
- A documented score on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Applicants must meet all of the requirements for general admission set forth by the Graduate School including hold a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with 2.75 or higher GPA for full admission.
In addition, applicants must submit a documented score on the General Test of the Graduate Record Exam to the Graduate School. They should also send the following materials to the Graduate Coordinator of English:
- Personal statement: Submit a statement of 500-750 words that explains your reasons for undertaking graduate study, your academic preparation, your interests and goals.
- Writing sample: Send a sample of academic writing that shows us your ability to think and write critically. Essays may address a subject related to English studies, or any other academic area in which you have research and writing experience. Your sample should be at least 5 pages long and no more than 20.
- Two letters of recommendation: Provide each letter writer with a copy of the Letter of Recommendation Form (pdf). Letter writers should mail letters directly to the Graduate Coordinator.
- If you are also applying for a graduate assistantship, fill out the GA application and include a curriculum vitae or resume with your personal statement.
If you are applying for fall 2014, please make sure that all application materials are received by February 28, 2014.
The following address is used for submission of the above materials:
Randy Beebe, Ph.D.
Office: 3841 Coleman Hall
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
Graduate assistantships available through the English Department are awarded on a competitive basis. As of September 2011, stipends were $880 per month; tuition (though not fees) is waived for graduate assistants. In addition to financial aid, graduate assistantships provide valuable training and experience. Assistants tutor in the University’s Writing Center, assist with Writing across the Curriculum, and/or serve as editorial or research assistants. Assistants who complete the required sequence of training in composition pedagogy may apply to teach first-year writing courses. (You can also find general information about graduate assistantships at Eastern on the Graduate School's website.
Applications for graduate assistantship appointments effective the following academic year should be complete by early March. (Please refer to the calendar of important dates for additional details.) Applicants for graduate assistantships are required to complete the graduate assistantship application available at the Graduate School website. At least one week before the due date in March, a complete application for admission must be on file in the Graduate School (application form, official transcripts, GRE scores, and TOEFL scores). The Graduate School will forward these materials to the department’s graduate coordinator. By the due date, the applicant should also have sent these supporting documents directly to the graduate coordinator: personal statement, CV or resume, two letters of recommendation, and a writing sample. GA applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!