A variety of Halloween-themed activities are planned on the Eastern Illinois University campus.
Whether their interests are in stargazing, fashion, classical music, athletics or the old standby -- trick-or-treating -- students, adults and children alike can find something to do to mark this time of year.
Friday, Oct. 26
- 8 p.m.: Halloween-themed open house at EIU observatory. Costumed members of the EIU Astronomy Club will hand out Halloween goodies. Guests are encouraged to join in the fun by also dressing in costume. The observatory will be ringed with jack-o-lanterns carved by the Astronomy Club. Objects available for viewing through the state-of-the-art, 16-inch telescope will likely be the moon, the Andromeda Galaxy, the Pleiades, and possibly Jupiter and the Ring Nebula. Even if it’s cloudy, the observatory will be open for tours and Halloween fun.Southwest of the Campus Pond. 581-3220.
Saturday, Oct. 27
- 7:15 p.m.: "Once Upon a Time" Halloween Fashion Show, hosted by Erica Dixon from VH1's "Love and Hip-Hop Atlanta," and Que, a former member of Diddy's hit group Day26. Presented by GLAM (Glamorized Ladies and Men's Modeling student organization). A portion of proceeds will go toward cancer research via The V Foundation. Art and cleaning supplies and monetary donations will be accepted for Teen Reach, an after-school program in Charleston. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance (call 773-946-3891), $12 at the door. Grand Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union, EIU.
Sunday, Oct. 28
- 6 p.m.: "Fright Night" concert featuring the Eastern Symphony Orchestra. Music will include "Sleeping Beauty, Opus 66" by Pyotr Tchaikovsky and "Danse Macabre" by Camille Saint-Saëns. Fun for all ages includes Halloween costume contest, videos and candy. $12 for public, $10 for EIU employees and seniors, $5 for students. 581-3110. Dvorak Concert Hall, Doudna Fine Arts Center, EIU.
Wednesday, Oct. 31
Trick-or-treat and related activities. Parents are asked to escort their children at all times; begin all activities at the first floor lobby of each of the stated buildings; wait for an escort to assist them while in the buildings; and use separate bags for candy collected in the residence halls, Greek Court and off-campus locations.
- 5-7 p.m.: Children’s activities, including Halloween Bozo Buckets, Knock the Can, Pin the Stem on the Pumpkin, paper pumpkin decorating and Halloween coloring pages. Lawson Hall basement.
- 5-8 p.m.: Trick-or-treat at each house in Greek Court (EIU’s on-campus fraternity and sorority housing complex). South edge of campus off of Roosevelt Avenue.
- 5-8 p.m.: Trick-or-treat and face painting. Andrews Hall lobby.
- 7 p.m.: EIU Basketball Blue Madness. The public is invited to meet the 2012-13 Panthers men's and women's basketball teams while taking part in Halloween trick-or-treat and games through 8:30 p.m. in Lantz Arena. Teams will be introduced at 7:30 p.m. Wearing of costumes is encouraged; a costume contest will offer prizes. The women's team will take part in a 3-point shooting contest; the men's team will have a dunk contest.