REO Speedwagon will bring its classic rock hits to Eastern Illinois University as part of the wide variety of entertainment planned for 2012 Family Weekend, Sept. 28-30.
The legendary band -- known for numerous hits, including "Keep on Loving You," "Can't Fight This Feeling" and "Time for Me to Fly" -- will perform in a sold-out Lantz Gym at 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29.
Many other activities are also planned to help students and their families create great memories on campus. Here's a look at the full schedule for the entire weekend.
Friday, Sept. 28
- 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m.: Student Recreation Center open to visitors. Free.
- 6 p.m.: "Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax." Free movie. Buzzard Hall Auditorium.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Pastabilities: All-You-Care-To-Eat Buffet. Baked mostaccioli with Italian sausage; fettuccini alfredo; fresh broccoli and cauliflower; antipasto salad; breadsticks; cheesecake and/or candied brownies; lemonade, tea or water. Advance ticket purchase is recommended; call 217-581-3616. $9.85 for adults and EIU students, $5 for ages 6-10, free for ages 5 and under. University Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union.
- 7 p.m.: Comedian, magician and balloon sculptor John Cassidy. Named one of the funniest comedy magicians working today by MAGIC Magazine, Cassidy holds four spots in the Guinness Book of World Records, including Most Balloon Sculptures Completed in One Hour. He's made many high-profile TV appearances and performed at the White House twice. Free. Grand Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union.
- 8 p.m.-midnight: Rock 'N' Bowl. Enjoy cosmic bowling and snacks while listening to popular music from the ’70s and ’80s. $2 per game, free shoe rental. University Union Bowling Lanes, MLK Jr. Union.
- 9-11 p.m.: Family Bingo Bonanza. Back by popular demand, this year's bingo will feature bigger and better games and prizes, plus celebrity EIU Bingo callers. Refreshments provided. Sponsored by University Board Special Events and EIU Parents Club. Free. McAfee Gym.
- 9:30 p.m.: Observatory open house. Tour the observatory facility and observe the moon and other celestial objects through the 16-inch robotic telescope. Free. Meet outside under the walkway at the MLK Jr. Union.
Saturday, Sept. 29
- 9-11 a.m.: Parents Club Continental Breakfast, featuring bagels, assorted pastries, a fresh fruit salad and choice of beverages. Free. Vending Lounge, MLK Jr. Union.
- 9:15 a.m.: "Run for a Reason: Run Red." This 2.5K or 5K walk, run or ride benefits the local American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Each participant gets a T-shirt and the chance to win door prizes. Check in begins at 8:30 a.m. $20 entry fee. Campus Pond and Panther Trail.
- 10 a.m.: "Animal Circus." Presented by the EIU Faculty Brass, the program will include musical works and narration for the young and young-at-heart. Free. Ballenger Teachers Center, Booth Library.
- 10 a.m.-noon: Face painting. Free. Bridge Walkway Lounge, MLK Jr. Union.
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m.: Color photo buttons. Get your family photo taken and made into a button. $4 per button. Bridge Walkway Lounge, MLK Jr. Union.
- 10 a.m.-10 p.m.: Student Recreation Center open to visitors. Free.
- 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: EIU Alumni Association Legacy Tailgate for legacy students (current students with parents or grandparents who attended EIU) and their families. Featuring music, Eastern giveaways and a menu that includes grilled chicken, pulled pork, traditional sides and dessert. $10.50 per person. O’Brien Stadium Tailgate Area.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Football Game Pick-Up-and-Go Lunch. Featuring a Chick-fil-A sandwich, Miss Vicki's Chips, golden delicious apple, Rice Krispie Treat and a soft drink or bottled water. $7 per person. Pick up in the Commemorative Courtyard next to the Library Quad.
- Noon-1:30 p.m.: Billy’s Backyard, The EIU Tailgate. Featuring face painting, food, games, special guests and shade under the Parents Club tent. Free. O’Brien Stadium Tailgate Area.
- 1-2:15 p.m. and 3-4:15 p.m.: Wine tasting. Learn the nuances of wine tasting, including identifying the colors, aromas and flavors of wine. Must be at least 21 to attend; no children are allowed in the room during the event. Seats are limited (72 per session); participants must sign up at the door and present a valid ID. Sign-up sheets for both sessions will be available beginning at 12:30 p.m. Seating will begin 10 minutes before event begins. Free. University Ballroom (west end), MLK Jr. Union.
- 1:30 p.m.: EIU vs. Austin Peay football game. The Panther Marching Band, Pink Panthers Dance Team and EIU Flag Corps will perform. $17 for adults, free for EIU students with ID, $15 for EIU faculty and staff, $7 for high school students, $5 for ages 4-14. O’Brien Stadium.
- 4 and 7 p.m.: "Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax." Free movie. Buzzard Hall Auditorium.
- 4:30-7:30 p.m.: All-You-Care-To-Eat Buffet, with pork carnita, honey barbecue grilled chicken breasts, loaded mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, buttered corn, Panther Catering house salad, marinated fresh vegetables, assorted breads and rolls, assorted cobblers, and beverages. $11 for adults and EIU students, $5.50 for ages 6-10, free for ages 5 and under. Grand Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union.
- 8 p.m.: REO Speedwagon concert. Sold out. Lantz Arena.
Sunday, Sept. 30
- 9-11:30 a.m.: "Wrap Up the Weekend" Breakfast, with a buffet featuring fresh fruit salad, cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, hashbrown casserole, cinnamon apples, biscuits and gravy, sausage links, orange juice, coffee and water. $10.50 for adults and EIU students, $5.25 for kids ages 6-10, free for ages 5 and under. Grand Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union.
- 10 a.m.-noon: Color Photo Buttons. Get your family photo taken and made into a button. $4 per button. Bridge Walkway Lounge, MLK Jr. Union.