Note Taker Accommodation Procedures
- Students who have note taking accommodations will need to pick up No Carbon Required (NCR) paper from the Office of Student Disability Services (OSDS) to give to their instructors.
- In each class, the instructor should ask for a volunteer note taker. A backup note taker should be available in the event that the note taker is absent.
- The volunteer takes notes on the NCR paper and gives the instructor a copy.
- The instructor gives the copy to the student with this accommodation.
- Although passing notes to the student should be handled confidentially, this may not always be the case.
- Students sometimes prefer to secure their own note taker. They may ask a friend in the class, or find someone who is taking thorough notes.
- Instructors may be asked occasionally to check the quality of the notes.
- The note taker should not be asked to change the way he or she takes notes.
- Students are not entitled (with very few exceptions) to notes when they are absent.
- When the note taker is low on NCR paper, the student should come to OSDS to pick up more.
- Students should return any unused NCR paper to OSDS at the end of the semester.
- Instructors should contact OSDS if they need suggestions for obtaining a note taker.
Campus Support Services
- CASA Homepage
- Academic Advising
- Disability Services
- Student Success Center
- Testing and Evaluation
Contact Us!Office of Student Disability Services
Eastern Illinois University 600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Ph: (217) 581-6583
Fax: (217) 581-7208