Nutrition Education Emphasis
Nutrition Education Emphasis CompetenciesEastern Illinois University's Dietetic Internship emphasis area is Nutrition Education. Regardless which area of dietetics one chooses to practice, nutrition education is involved. Following are the Nutrition Education Emphasis Competencies, which are intertwined in both the coursework and the Dietetic Internship curriculum. At the completion of the program requirements the students receive a certificate designating them a Nutrition Education Specialist as awarded by the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior.
- Use appropriate research and evaluation methodology to analyze and evaluate food and nutrition education research, issues, literature, materials, and programs.
- Design food and nutrition education programs and materials for diverse situations incorporating needs assessment; goals and outcome objectives; and appropriate theoretical frameworks, content, activities, materials; and evaluation.
- Implement food and nutrition education programs, effectively using oral and written communication, technology, the media, and marketing.
- Apply appropriate theories and techniques of education and the behavioral sciences to modify food behavior for individuals and groups.
- Develop a health promotion/disease prevention intervention project.
- Manage nutrition screening/assessment and provide appropriate medical nutrition therapy or other nutrition care to individuals and groups in the community.
- Conduct activities to support legislative and public policy process related to food, nutrition and health related activities.