September 24, 2012
Gracon takes documentary film on tour of northwest
A Communication Studies faculty member is taking his first feature length documentary film on tour in early October.
Dr. David Gracon will take his film Walls of Sound — A Look Inside the House of Records (63 minutes, 2012) on tour in the Pacific Northwest. The mini-tour will make stops at indie theaters and community art spaces in Portland and Eugene, Oregon, as well as Olympia, Washington.
This documentary video explores the House of Records, an independent record store based in Eugene, Oregon. The store has been in operation since 1972 and currently struggles to exist in the midst of digital downloading and the practices of corporate retailers. The video is an ethnographic study that combines interviews with the owner, employees and various customers of the store. Their stories and observations are often imbued with a quirky sense of humor, biting intelligence and a deep admiration for the store and its culture. The video addresses the cultural significance and various folkloric narratives of the store on a number of levels. It explores how the store provides cultural diversity and alternative media, as it caters to the musical fringes and a broad range of musical styles not widely available at other retail outlets.
Six screenings are planned in Oregon and Washington in early October. Gracon will introduce the film and answer questions after the screenings and two of the screenings will feature current and former employees from the House of Records who are featured in the film.
Walls of Sound Film Tour Dates and Details:
- Thursday, October 4th at 8:00 p.m.: Clinton Street Theater in Portland, Oregon. Introduction and discussion with David Gracon, and three former House of Records employees featured in the film, Aaron Maltz, Matt Sargis and Fred Murschall.
- Friday, October 5th at 8:00 p.m.: Bijou Art Cinema in Eugene, Oregon. Introduction and discussion by David Gracon, as well as Greg and Martha Sutherland, two long time employees at the House of Records. Local band Heavenly Oceans will perform after the screening and discussion.
- Saturday, October 6th at 8:00p.m.: Bijou Art Cinema, Eugene, Oregon.
- Sunday, October 7th at 8:00 p.m.: Bijou Art Cinema, Eugene,Oregon. Introduction and discussion by David Gracon.
- Monday, October 8th at 8:00 p.m.: Northern Olympia All Ages Project, Olympia, Washington. Introduction and discussion by David Gracon.
- Tuesday, October 9th: TBA