Undergraduate communication studies majors at Eastern earn a Bachelor of Arts degree. To earn the degree, students must complete the graduation requirements listed in the university catalog. These requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Complete at least 120 semester hours with an overall GPA of at least 2.00 and a major GPA of at least 2.00.
- Complete at least 40 semester hours of upper division courses (3000-4000 numbered courses).
- Meet all of EIU's general education requirements
- Meet EIU's foreign language requirement, which is either two years of the same foreign language in high school, or two semesters of the same foreign language in college.
- Complete the Electronic Writing Portfolio.
- Earn a grade of C or better in each of the department’s four core classes (CMN 2010, 2020, 2030, 2040).
- Complete all of the requirements in a selected option in the major.
Communication Studies majors can select from a variety of options
- Communication, Society & Pop Culture (.pdf)
- Corporate Communication (.pdf)
- Interpersonal (.pdf)
- Mass Communication: Broadcast News (.pdf)
- Mass Communication: Electronic Media Production (.pdf)
- Public Relations (.pdf)
Communication studies majors are allowed to complete more than one option in the major. If the same course is required in multiple options, the student may take the course once and count it in other options. An elective course in the major may not be counted in more than one option.