2013 Smith-Merritt Public Speaking Competition
When: April 22 and 23, 6:00 - 8:00 pm (contestants arrive at 5:30)
Where: 1120 Coleman (on 4/22) and Doudna Fine Arts Center Lecture Hall (on 4/23)
Who: Any student enrolled in CMN 1310/1390 this semester
Why: Prizes! $500 for 1st Place, $300 for 2nd Place, $100 for 3rd Place
All contestants will compete in the break-out preliminary rounds on Monday 4/22 in Coleman Hall. Contestants need to check in at Coleman 1120 at 5:30. The top ranked speakers will advance to the final round on Tuesday 4/23.
Rules & Considerations:
1. The speech must be a 7-9 minute persuasive speech
2. The competition is open to students who are enrolled in CMN 1310/1390 this semester.
3. The speech must be the original work of the contestant.
4. You may use notecards or a manuscript to deliver your speech.
5. Extemporaneous delivery is expected (do not read your speech).
6. You may use visual aids, bring them on a flash drive and/or email to yourself.
7. All speeches will be evaluated using the same “Speech Rating Scale.” Click here to see the evaluation sheet.
8. Students who participate must be available on both evenings of the competition. Arrival time is 5:30 on 04/22 and those who advance to the final round will need to arrive at 5:30 on 04/23.
For more information contact Dr. Rich Jones firstname.lastname@example.org, 581-3324, Coleman 2037