National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA)
NSSLHA is a pre-professional organization for students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in CDS. NSSLHA is an EIU registered student organization (RSO) that supports current students by providing social activities, volunteer opportunities, and information regarding the next steps in their professional-academic career. Events include:
- Campus wide events: Admitted Student Day, University Foundations Day, Panther Prowl, the annual health fair, and Relay for Life.
- Educational programs such as the graduate student-senior mentoring program, guest speakers, study abroad information, grad school preparation, and CPR training.
- Social events such as the Welcome Back Picnic, Halloweenie Roast, Spring Game Night, and the Spring Awards Banquet. There are 2 client-clinician parties for clients that receive services at the Eastern Illinois University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic.
NSSLHA Executive Board
(Top Row) Faculty Supervisor: Mrs. Becker, Program Coordinator: Brittany Booth, Secretary: Rebecca Lynn, Treasurer: Valerie Castle, President Shelby Newton, Faculty Supervisor: Dr. McNamara
(Bottom Row) Sophomore Class Rep: Shiringalah Webb, Vice President: Michelle Sangpeal, Autsim Center Representative: Brianna Rudzki, Junior Class Rep: Mary Beth Xenakis, autism Center Representative: Maureen Ofiara, Senior Class Rep (not pictured): Brooke Taylor
For information regarding NSSLHA events and/or membership, contact Shelby Newton, President at email@example.com .
The EIU Autism Center
The CDS department is planning to open a center that would provide clinical and consultation services for persons with autism and their families, provide outreach and in-service to education agencies, and enhance the clinical training of EIU graduates.
Donate to the EIU Autism Center
Procedure for online giving: Click on link below, specify gift amount, refer to the drop box- scroll to line 11 and select “Other Gifts (Please Specify)”. The Question “Where would you like this gift to go?” will appear. Write “Autism Center” and complete the identifying information. Checks can be made payable to the EIU Foundation. In the memo line- write “Autism Center”.
NSSLHA is participating in the Illinois Marathon, located in Champaign-Urbana, to raise money for the EIU Autism Center.
- Register for the Illinois Marathon (5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Full Marathon) taking place in Champaign-Urbana on Friday, April 25th and Saturday April 26th.
- Participants that receive pledges of $50 dollars or more will receive a free dri-fit tee shirt to run in. Raise money for the EIU autism center. Find the pledge sheet to record donations here.
- Businesses that sponsor The Run for the EIU Autism Center with a donation of $100 dollars or more will have their name on the back of the dri-fit shirt for the participants running.
Contact the Autism Center Representative, Maureen Ofiara, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about the Autism Center or donations.
NSSLHA Upcoming Events
- Graduate Information Night for EIU undergraduates – Thursday, September 19th at 5:30pm- clinic classroom.
- Client-clinician Holiday party-Thursday, December 5th at 5:30
- Spring Awards Banquet- April 24th, 2014.
- NSSLHA loves campaign
- NSSLHA Most Outstanding Graduate Student Scholarship