Eastern Illinois University Logo


Home CDS Undergraduate Program

CDS Department Main Page

About the CDS Undergraduate Program

Why Choose EIU for Undergraduate Studies in CDS

How to Apply to EIU

Admission Criteria to the CDS Major

Transfer Student Information

Current Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate CDS Courses

Departmental CDS Honors Program



Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

How many Communication Disorders courses are required for the undergraduate degree?

Seventeen Communication Disorders & Sciences courses are required in order to complete the undergraduate degree.

Is there a required Grade Point Average (GPA) in order to be an undergraduate student in Communication Disorders & Science?

Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and 2.75 in CDS courses to be admitted and retained in the major. 

Will I do "hands on" clinical work as an undergraduate student?

Yes, our undergraduate students who enroll in CDS 4900 and provide "hands on" clinical services with a client during their senior year. A student typically provides 20-25 hours of speech therapy services with the client in the EIU Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic.

How many students are accepted into the Communication Disorders Master's program each year? Where are other Master's programs located?

The EIU Department of Communication Disorders Master's program has an incoming annual class of approximately 30 students. There are also Master's degree programs in speech-language pathology in 10 other universities in Illinois. Our undergraduate students who attend graduate school in speech-language pathology at other universities report being well-prepared for graduate school. For a complete listing of accredited programs, consult the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) web site.

I am a transfer student. Will I be able to graduate on time if I major in Communication Disorders?

Whether or not a student graduates "on time" (defined here as within 4 years after entering college) depends on many factors. The earlier a student begins the Communication Disorders Program, the greater the chances of finishing on time. Students should meet with a department advisor to review transcripts and develop an academic plan.

Who will be my academic advisor in the Department of Communication Disorders?

Faculty members in CDS teach courses, supervise clinical experiences, and serve as academic advisors.  Faculty members have an "open-door" policy and as advisors, help students map out the program so that students can anticipate when they will take each course. The advisor can also provide valuable graduate school and career counseling for students.

Can I find employment with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Disorders & Science?

Students who complete the degree requirements and do not intend to pursue a graduate degree may find immediate entry into positions such as an aide in public and private school systems. Students might also use this degree as a base for general educational and special education graduate studies or other human services professions, academic programs and clinical experiences. Click here for more information.