Faculty Information and Forms
The College of Sciences has several awards, grants, and professional opportunities that are available to faculty. Please read each of these carefully for their specific rules and eligibility requirements. Click on the individual titles to for more information and/or to apply. The list of past faculty award winners is available here.
Alan and Carlene Baharlou Distinguished Service Award of the College of Sciences
- With a distinguished record of service that extends beyond the department to include outstanding service to the College, the University, the community and/or major professional organizations.
- Whose record of service contributions is long-term and extends beyond the present academic year.
- Whose commitment to service is supported by excellence in the classroom and a commitment to scholarship.
- 2016 Recipient - Jeffrey Stowell (PSY)
Hanner Teaching Excellence Award
- A faculty member who is recognized by both colleagues and students as a teacher of the highest caliber, dedicated to the learning enterprise.
- A teacher who is involved in creative teaching and learning activities outside the boundaries of traditional course work.
- A teacher who challenges students to fulfill their potential as learners.
- A teacher who demonstrates teaching excellence across all courses offered.
- 2016 Recipient - Jim Riley (GEO)
College of Sciences Lawrence A. Ringenberg Award
- A published scholar who has developed a national or international reputation in his or her field.
- A teacher of the highest caliber, dedicated to helping students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- A person with a distinguished record of service to his or her Department, the College of Sciences, the University, and/or his or her profession.
- 2016 Recipient - Mukti Upadhyay (ECN)
Lida G. Wall Faculty Research Mentor Award
- Must be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member in the College of Sciences.
- Must be recognized by both colleagues and students as being a dedicated, outstanding undergraduate research mentor and teacher.
- Must have been engaged in an active mentoring research role resulting in student publications and/or presentations during the last two years.
- Will be eligible for re-nomination four years after receiving the award.
- 2016 Recipient - Nichole Mulvey (CDS)
- Write a short essay explaining why you think this professor deserves the Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Please limit your essay to 4 pages, double-spaced.
- The recipient will be selected by the College of Sciences Student Advisory Board.
- 2016 Recipient - Paul Danyi (PLS)
The intent of the fund is to provide supplementary materials and equipment to enhance faculty members' research/creative activities or to provide funds to assist faculty members with expenses associated with presenting research/creative active results at a professional conference. Faculty members may apply annually for funds throughout their probationary years. All money received through this grant must be spent in that current fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- Congratulations to the Early Research Support Grant recipients for fiscal year 2016.
- Fayeza Ahmed (PSY)
- Alejandra Alvarado (MCS)
- Meg Floress (PSY)
- Michael Gillespie (SOC)
- Angela Glaros (SOC)
- Hongshan He (CHM)
- Lyndsay Jenkins (PSY)
- Grant Lakeland (MCS)
- Daniele Nardi (PSY)
- Andrew Parrish (MCS)
- James Riley (GEL)
- Jennifer Stevens (SOC)
- Vernon Woodley (SOC)
Working with colleagues from other disciplines has the potential to foster dynamic ideas and research protocols to address issues of importance to humanity. In this spirit, COS will award grant funds to one or more interdisciplinary faculty research team comprised of at least one primary investigator from COS. Other team members may be from departments in any college or other unit within EIU. Only new research protocols will be considered. Inclusion of undergraduate and/or graduate student researchers is encouraged, but not required. All money received through this grant must be spent in that current fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- Congratulations to the IRIS recipients for fiscal year 2016.
- Grant Lakeland (MCS) and Kraig Wheeler (CHM) Chemical and Mathematical Assessments of Molecular Shape
- Fayeza Ahmed (PSY) and Naomi Gurevich (CDS) Short-term outcome of well-being for dementia caregivers
The grant competition is open to tenured and tenure-track faculty in COS. Faculty may not reapply for a Seed Grant until COS receives documentation of submission of application to an external agency from the previous Seed Grant. All money received through this grant must be spent in that current fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- Congratulations to the Seed Grant recipients for fiscal year 2016.
- Meg Floress (PSY) Video Observations of Teachers Praise to Criticism Ratio in the Classroom
- Hongshan He (CHM) Organic dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells
All money received through this grant must be spent in that fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).
- Congratulations to the Visiting Scholars Grant recipients for fiscal year 2016.
- Diane Burns (GEL)
- Steven Daniels (PHY)
- Linda Ghent (ECN)
- Belayet Khan (GEL)
- Anabela Maia (BIO)
- Andrew Parrish (MCS)
- Bogdan Petrenko (MCS)
Previously known as Publishing Scholars, this event, sponsored by The Division of Academic Affairs, celebrates the creative accomplishments of our faculty and staff here at Eastern Illinois University by showcasing their recent publications and creative works. Also honored in this reception are grants received through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Only publications that have been externally reviewed/juried/refereed should be included.
- For creative works, they must be off campus, invited, or juried submissions.
- Works listed in previous Celebration of Publications, Creative Works, and Grants brochures should not be included.
- Only works from September 1 - August 31 of the most recent year should be included.
- COS submissions are due by September 14, 2016.
Completed application includes:
- Current vita including research/creative activity productivity
- Proposal Application (attached), limited in length to three pages
Completed applications should be forwarded to the Department Chair according to procedures established in the Department by October 22, 2015. Department chairs will forward applications with the completed approval forms to the Dean for presentation to the COS Review Committee by November 17, 2015.