Nov 16, 2012
Students must attend a meeting to formally apply for University Admission to Teacher Education and to initiate the selection process. The College of Education and Professional Studies schedules meetings each semester. The required formal application form is distributed and collected at the meetings, and the rules and regulations concerning selection, admission to, and retention in teacher education are explained. Students who have not previously applied must attend a meeting.
The following meetings are available Fall Semester 2012 to initiate the selection process: Monday, Sept. 10 (5-5:50 p.m.); Tuesday, Oct. 2 (6-6:50 p.m.); Wednesday, Nov. 14 (5-5:50 p.m.); and Monday, Dec. 3 (4-4:50 p.m.). Registration is NOT required. All meetings are held in 1501 Buzzard Hall.
DOUG BOWER, Associate Dean/College of Education and Professional Studies
Posted: Aug 20, 2012
TAKE EIU HOME FOR THANKSGIVING BREAK
Students, please stop by the Admissions Office in Old Main and pick up a Panther Packet of EIU brochures to share with your friends back home. If you're planning to stop by your high school to let your friends and teachers know how well you're doing, why not wear the official T-shirt we'll include in your packet!
Don't forget to stop by the Office of Admissions in Old Main before you head home. Gail and Stacy are expecting you.
BRENDA L. MAJOR, Director of Admissions
Posted: Oct 11, 2012
EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY ANNUITANTS ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applications are now being accepted for the EIU Annuitants Scholarship. The applicant must meet the following criteria:
1) The recipient(s) may receive the scholarship one time only.
2) At the time of selection, the recipient(s) must be a junior or senior enrolled in at least six semester hours, accepted to Eastern Illinois University.
3) The recipient(s) must be the child or grandchild of a current EIU full-time or part-time employee with five or more years of consecutive service to the university OR the child or grandchild of a retired EIU full-time or part-time employee with five or more years of consecutive service to the university.
4) The recipient(s) must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
5) Applicants must submit a written statement listing career goals and financial need.
6) Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation from an EIU adviser or faculty member.
7) In the event that there are several suitable applicants, preference will be given to the recipient(s) with financial need.
8) The award(s) shall be payable in the fall/spring semester to EIU to be first applied against costs (tuition, fees, housing, etc.) associated with the recipient(s) attending EIU. Any remaining amount will be disbursed to the recipient(s).
Applications are due no later than Nov. 28, 2012. Send applications to EIUAA, Brainard House, 600 Lincoln Ave., Charleston, IL 61920. For the application, go here.
ALAN BAHARLOU, EIU Annuitants Newsletter Editor and Legislative Chair
Posted: Oct 25, 2012
CASH AWARD FOR STUDENT
The Darwin Day Committee is please to accept entries from students interested in competing for the 2013 Stephen Jay Gould Award. The competition for this award is open to all students, undergraduate and graduate, regardless of their department and major.
Charles Darwin is often cited as an example of a person whose ideas “revolutionized” the way we view and understand our world. The topic to be addressed in essays submitted for the 2013 Stephen Jay Gould Award is "the impact of Darwin’s theory of evolution on particular academic fields of inquiry."
In your paper, you must address how Darwin's ideas, specifically those on evolution and natural selection, have impacted a particular discipline (e.g., sociology, political science, economics, biology, chemistry, philosophy, etc.). If you prefer, you may also include more than one discipline to broaden the scope of your paper. The paper must focus on the effect (such as causing or influencing a paradigm shift within a discipline) of Darwin's ideas on an academic discipline, not simply iterate a description of the particulars of Darwin's theory.
Submit the following items to the Darwin Day Committee in the Department of Biological Sciences' main office (Room 2070, Life Sciences Building): one typed, double-spaced copy of your paper, and a letter of nomination from an Eastern Illinois University faculty member that supports the quality of your paper. The submission deadline is noon on Monday, Jan. 28.
For additional information and evaluation criteria, please consult this website.
STEPHEN J. MULLIN, Biological Sciences
Posted: Nov 13, 2012
- Career Services Workshops
- EIU Event Calendar
- Registration and Exam Schedules
- Tarble Arts Center
- Theatre Arts
- Civil Service Council
- Council on Academic Affairs
- Council on Graduate Studies
- Council on Teacher Education
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Student Government