Benefits of Recruiting @ EIU
Eastern Illinois University has a rich tradition of preparing students to accomplish impressive professional goals through a combination of quality academics, leadership training and opportunities for professional development.
EIU by the numbers:
- Enrollment: 11,178 (9657 undergraduates|1521 graduate students)
- 28% minority student population
- 112 majors & minors offered through four colleges including 65 concentrations
- 200+ registered student organizations
- 21 intercollegiate athletic teams and dozens of intramural and recreational activities
- Consistently ranked in top 3rd of Midwest Universities in its class by U.S. News & World Report
- 86% placement rate for 2010-2011 grads (well above the national average of 64%)
- Over 300 students participate in 100+ study abroad opportunities
- 50% of students from Cook and the Collar Counties; 22% from the Central Illinois area
- Students regularly participate in 100+ community service opportunities
- 90% obtain real-world work or volunteer experience while attending full time
Achievements & Attributes of our students & campus
- Home of the 2011 Illinois Professor of the Year.
- First in Illinois in preparing more undergraduates who go on to earn doctoral degrees (rank in the top 5% nationwide).
- The first choice for more than 75% of new students in the Honors College, which attracts some of the best and brightest in the state.
- 2012 Barry M. Goldwater Scholar in Physics/Pre-Engineering.
- Honored in 2012 by the Corporation for National and Community Service and the U.S. Department of Education for a commitment to bettering our community through service and service learning.
- Communication Studies student wins the 2011 Best New Radio Ad statewide competition.
- Physics student refurbished a 30" telescope now part of the SKYNET gamma ray search program.
- The EIU chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma (international business honor society) recognized as a Bronze Chapter for conducting programs of significance.
- The EIU Chapter of American Marketing Association awarded for Outstanding Chapter Planning and Outstanding Communications.
- Three students representing the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP) place in the COBOL competition at the national conference.
- First place finish at the Illinois HR Games and Conference for the EIU Society for Human Resource Management chapter.
- WEIU-TV News Watch place in top three in the nation for the second year in a row in competitions for best college TV newscast.
- EIU students acquire "real-life", project-oriented educational experience.
- EIU students demonstrate strong work ethic and readiness to work.
- EIU students gain integrative learning through use of research, cutting edge technology and supporting resources.
- EIU students have strong leadership and teamwork skills and a desire to work in a global marketplace.
- Accounting - Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business International
- Applied Engineering & Technology - Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering
- Art - National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD)
- Communication Disorders & Sciences - Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Dietetics - Commission on Accreditation of Dietetics Education of The American Dietetic Association
- School of Business - Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International
- Family & Consumer Sciences - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Journalism - The Accrediting Council for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Theatre - National Association of Schools of Theatre