Graduate School Information Day
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
10:00 am - 2:00 pm | Grand Ballroom - Union
Suggested Sample Questions to Ask Program Representatives
The Application Process
- What are your admission requirements?
- Is your application available on the Web?
- Is there a program advisor I can contact directly for more information?
- What is your application fee?
- Do you offer fee waivers?
- How do I obtain a waiver?
- Do you only look at overall GPA?
- What if my GPA in my major is significantly higher than my overall?
- Does your program require the GRE General and/or Subject tests?
- How does your institution handle multiple GRE scores? (Best, average, most recent)?
- Do you have a minimum GRE score for applications?
- Should I submit a resume with my application?
- Is there any recommended coursework I should complete prior to starting the program?
The Admissions Review Process
- How many students are typically admitted into your program?
- How many applications do you typically get each year?
- How do you evaluate courses without letter grades (such as Pass/No Pass)?
- Do you offer travel funds for campus visits during the application process?
- What is the relative weight you give the GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, or other criteria?
Graduate School Life
- How long does it take to complete a master's or doctoral degree (normative time)?
- Do you have a list of faculty in your program and their research interests?
- Are there graduate students in your program I could contact?
- What is the student/faculty ratio? How are graduate students matched to their mentors?
- What percentage of recent graduates obtained full-time employment in their field?
- Do you accept students on a part-time basis? Do you offer evening courses?
Funding Your Graduate Education
- Is there a separate deadline for fellowships and financial aid applications?
- How are graduate students in your program typically funded?
- Does your institution offer fellowships? What is the tuition coverage?
- What is the stipend?
- How are fellowships, teaching assistantships and research assistantships awarded?