March 4, 2011

February 4, 2011

November 12, 2010

October 15, 2010

September, 17, 2010

April 14, 2010

March 10, 2010

January 27, 2010

December 2, 2009

October 21, 2009

September 23, 2009

March 12, 2009

January 29, 2009

November 13, 2008

October 16, 2008

September 18, 2008

April 17, 2008

March 20, 2008

February 14, 2008

November 13, 2007

October 16, 2007

September 11, 2007

Unknown 2007

February 20, 2007

CAN Committee Meeting
Friday, March 4, 2011
1:00-2:30

Meeting Canceled, Agenda items tabled for next meeting.

CAN Committee Meeting
Friday, February 4, 2011
12:30-1:50

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Don Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry, Christine Chambers

Ad Hoc Committee member (Website Update)-*Chad Cross

Guests: Nancy Crone, Debbie Barker, Kari Dailey, Shawn Schultz, Tiffany Leschke, Intern-Advising Center

I. The meeting was called to order at 12:30 p.m. The minutes from Friday November 12th, 2010 were approved.

II. Congratulations to Nancy Crone for her recent publication in NACADA.

III. We were pleased to see four additional guests at our meeting which provided additional input and opinions for discussion.  The CAN committee encourages the advising community to attend our meetings.

IV. Ad Hoc committee input: Mary Herrington-Perry, Monica Zeigler and Chad Cross.

V. Discussions:

A. FERPA Release Form: The FERPA form was revised by Rob Miller. All University employees will use the same form. Chad Cross will post the revised FERPA form on the CAN website.

B. Academic Advising Center-Maintain students until completed:

Freshmen:-15 credits

FCS-15 Credits and a 2.0 CGPA

Elementary and Early Childhood Ed-45 credits, 2.65 GPA and passing Basic Skills

C. Administrative Drop from Records- Students on academic warning or probation can only take 15 credit credits (16 with EIU 2919). Carla Nelson is asking for the advisor’s input as to which course can be dropped to bring the student’s schedule in line with the credit limit requirement. This input should insure the best strategic drop choice for the student’s academic path. Advisors will contact students regarding their decisions and copy Carla Nelson.

D. Major/Minor Fair- Meeting with Associate Deans/Linda Moore. Linda will follow-up with the Deans of each College to see if the Chairs are interested in presenting their information regarding their minor. The committee suggested this should coincide with Academic Foundation Day. Mary Herrington-Perry will supply Linda with faculty in charge of the Interdisciplinary Minors.

E. Education e-mail to parent. Monica Zeigler distributed this parent letter that was approved by Dr. Doug Bower.

Eastern is following the rules that the state has mandated. All classes including general education classes that are used to meet the teacher education degree must have a “C” or better. This statement will be in our 2011 catalog under teacher certification:

All students graduating after December 2011 with a teacher certification major must receive a grade of “C” or better in all courses, regardless where they are taken, used toward graduation including general education, professional education, major and minor courses, all university required courses, and electives. Furthermore, any course used for the purpose of adding endorsements to a teaching certificate must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.

Eastern notified the community colleges of the changes that the Illinois State Board of Education made as we were notified.

 F. Repeating Prerequisite Course Clarification- Reminder that this applies to situations in which a student has already completed a prerequisite course successfully with a “D”, but decides to repeat it to try and earn a higher grade. A student is allowed to enroll in a subsequent course and its repeated prerequisite simultaneously.          

 G. Holds placed on student records were discussed. It was felt the date be reviewed so that all students are affected the same way in regards to registration. Further, students are allowed in classes as holds are released as late as the third week of classes. Chairs are allowing students in classes even though the last day to add is the fifth day. Mary Herrington-Perry is working with records to address these issues.

H. The committee discussed the issue with waivers specifically with ECN 2801G and 2802G and the subsequent effect on transfer students. Mary Herrington-Perry is working with Chairs and Deans to address this issue.

I. Chad Cross is continuing to post meeting dates on the University calendar and the CAN calendar. He is also continuing to update the advisor list. The committee discussed posting the CAN agenda earlier in order to notify advisors in advance of the discussion to increase attendance at the meeting.

J. NACADA point persons Monica, Donna and Nancy provided a list of NACADA commissions. Monica asked committee members to determine which commission areas they would like the point people to represent. This way the entire advising community would be represented. This information would be presented at the CAN meeting then disseminated to the advising community.

K. Attendance at the new Advisor Training sessions was disappointing with only 2-3new advisors and 2-3 graduate students in attendance. Therefore, the necessity of continuing these sessions due to the low attendance and amount of work and effort required to prepare for the training sessions was discussed. Everyone agreed that the new advisor training sessions should not be discontinued. Suggestions on how to increase advisor attendance were discussed. These included: direct mailing to new advisors, and working with Dagni Bredesen, Director of Faculty Development. An additional suggestion was to have CATS videotape the training session and post this Podcast on our website. 

L. Mary Herrington-Perry discussed retention efforts. Facilitating webinars was discussed including resources for free webinars.  Mary distributed advisor resources from the Education Advisory Board. How to distribute this information to the advising community will be discussed at the next CAN meeting. 

VI. Priority Business:

A. Advisorgram was not discussed. Once the Advisorgram is developed it will be sent to all committee members for review.

VII. Ongoing Business:

Advisor Listing updates will be continued.

Goals for 2010-2011: Keep the advising community current and informed

Objectives: CAN, Advisorgram, Advise1and joint venture with AAC

VIII. Reminders:

Advisor Coffee- February 9th 1-3 pm., Klehm 1418- light refreshments. Opening address will be presented by Dr. Blair Lord, Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs.

Guest speaker will be Dr. Doug Bower, CEPS. 

Retention Forum- March 8-2-3:30 Arcola/Tuscola room

Catalog-2011/2012- available on line by May 2 2011

Transfer Orientation dates for Summer and Fall 2011-

Monday-April 4, Thursday-April 14, Thursday-April 28, Tuesday-May 31, Monday-June 27, Monday-July 18, Tuesday-August 16 (Late Registration)

NACADA Point of Contact CAN members are: Monica Zeigler, Donna Dawson and Nancy Crone.

IX. Spring 2010 CAN meetings will be held on the remaining Fridays from 1-2:30: 3/4, 4/15 in the Journalism Conference Room-Buzzard 2521.

X. Meeting adjourned at 1:50 p.m.

CAN Committee Meeting
Friday, November 12, 2010
1:00-2:15

Committee Minutes

PRESENT:  Monica Zeigler, Mary Herrington-Perry, Don Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Christine Chambers

Guests:  Nancy Crone, Shawn Schultz

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes from October 15, 2010 were approved.

II. The meeting agenda was streamlined in advance by Ad Hoc committee members: Mary Herrington-Perry, Monica Zeigler and Chad Cross

Updates as follows:

FTE reduction - lack of classes (fall 2011). Concerns were raised regarding the impact of FTE reductions resulting in a lack of General Education classes. Monica reported sophomores are currently unable to find General Education classes, particularly in THA2140. Mary Herrington-Perry reported any reductions that will affect General Education courses will be determined by the respective College, then by Department.

ENG1002 – report to be run to determine if additional classes are needed for fall 2011 as many students are transferring dual credit or AP credit for ENG 1001.

Chad Cross will be managing the CAN Facebook messaging system. He will be inviting CAN members to join Facebook and accept this invitation.

Chad supplied the committee with a preview of a new layout for the Advisorgram. Committee members agreed to using a different format. This discussion was tabled until the next committee meeting to give everyone an opportunity to  review this document. The new layout will allow Chad to send the Advisorgram through a direct e-mail from CAN vs. through Advise-1. He will be using the Advise-1 list serve as the foundation.

Monica Zeigler’s presentation to the Council of Deans meeting on October 19 covered the following issues:

        Mandatory Advisement and problems encountered due to inconsistency in advisement.

        Importance of advisor training.

        Importance of maintaining information in advisor folders.

Mary Herrington-Perry reported that the Deans were receptive to the information and would like Monica to inform Chairs when an incident occurs.

Department Chairs have expressed concern with the amount of paperwork that prerequisite waivers will present. Mary-Herrington Perry will present this remaining item at the Council of Deans meeting in spring 2001 semester.                    

Since Banner is now checking for prerequisite coursework, students will no longer receive credit for a course without meeting prerequisite requirements. In the past students could slide through the system and not be penalized. The committee suggested the Deans’ speak with Department Chairs’ via their respective Curriculum Committees’ to check prerequisite course requirements and how this Banner enhancement will affect them regarding waivers.

College Scheduler will be available for the 2011 spring semester for transfer students. On December 6, Mary Harrington-Perry will provide written instructions to students that will include details and procedures for use. The purpose of College Scheduler is to help students plan a schedule with time constraints or conflicts.  College Scheduler will report any class that has more than one time listed. Banner will provide more detailed information.

NCATE meeting with advisors was reportedly well received. 

Bonnie Wilson reported the Reading Center provides workshops for test preparation for the Illinois Basic Skills test. However, these workshops are provided during the day which presents scheduling conflicts for students.  Bonnie will explore evening options in the College of Education and Professional Studies for preparing students for taking the Illinois Basic Skills test.

III. Priority Business:

A. Waivers and Banner:  Prerequisite checks will be implemented through Banner.

A student will not receive credit for a course without meeting the prerequisite unless a waiver is submitted.  The waiver form is the only way for Records to know this course should be counted for credit. The committee recommended that each Department Curriculum Committee needs to complete a prerequisite check and make necessary changes in order to reduce the amount of waivers that are now required. This is to emphasize what was stated above.

B. Online forms in FERPA. Questions were raised regarding the wording on the FERPA forms, i.e. “allowed vs. compelled”, and how to verify the individual inquiring about a student’s confidential information is the individual authorized on the FERPA form. Sue Harvey provided the following information. A student requests a waiver for a particular individual to gain access to his/her files. The waiver only covers Academics and Financial information but does not cover Health Services, Counseling, or the Office of Student Standards. The Office of the Registrar should be sent the original document and Departments can then contact the Registrar for verification. Photo identification and signature of the parent or significant other are required at that time. This is provided via fax to the office. The form allows advisors to share information with that respective party. However, the wording does not “force” advisors to provide information. The committee suggested that a copy of this waiver should be placed in the student’s advisement folder. Committee members also discussed other alternatives to verify the “caller” before giving information. The discussions emphasized that the              student should be present when information is disseminated. The student initiates the phone call to the designated party in the presence of their advisor. The advisor then provides the information while the student is present. Once the student initiates the contact, conference calls can also be used to disseminate information.

Addendum: Mary Herrington-Perry posted the following information through Advise-1 on 11-18-2010.  This information added closure to our previous discussion regarding on-line FERPA forms.

“When your students sign Family Education Rights and Privacy Act forms authorizing the release of their academic information to a designated party or parties, please send the original copy of the release to Ms. Sue Harvey, Office of the Registrar. Include your contact information on the bottom of the form.

Staff will image and store these forms so that they are available in a central, accessible location. This will enable us to respond to requests from parents and others (if doing so is warranted) in a timely fashion.

If you have questions about whether a particular student has signed a release form, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Note: You must have proof that an individual requesting a student’s academic information actually is a person approved by the student to receive it. Ask to see the requester’s photo ID. If the request is made by phone or email, ask the person to mail or fax you a signed request that includes a clear copy of the photo ID.”

IV. Continued Business:

A. Career Services – Minor Fair workshop potential for spring. A meeting is scheduled with Linda Moore on 12/1/2010 to discuss how the Minor Fair will be implemented including how Interdisciplinary Minors will be arranged. The committee felt that all Minors be included at this workshop. The committee discussed the difficulty of determining who is in charge of a particular Interdisciplinary Minor.

B. The role of advising to improve retention rates was the reason for Monica Zeigler’s presentation to the Council of Deans meeting as previously discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry and Monica Zeigler discussed potential changes to the length of time that the Academic Advising Center advises and maintains freshmen folders. The reason for this change would establish a better relationship with new students and to improve their understanding of various major requirements. The current regulation with exception of Business, Early Childhood Education, and Elementary Education is 12 credits.  The option of holding folders until a student completed either 15 or 30 credits was discussed. This was brought to the committee for discussion. The committee suggested that Academic Advising keep freshman folders until 15 credit hours and a 2.0 grade point average were established. This rule is in accordance with the criteria established for Family & Consumer Science majors. The committee recommended that the Academic Advising Center implement this rule then ask departments who would like to remain under the original procedure. 

This prospective change was discussed with Academic Advisors in the Advising Center.  Advisors raised concerns that keeping students for l5 credits and a 2.0 grade point average would create a significantly heavy advising load. This change would not only increase the advising load, but would also increase the length and complexity of the advisement meetings. The frequency and duration of each advisee appointment would increase in order for advisors to facilitate successful outcomes for each student. The purpose for the recommended change was to increase retention rates. Although academic advisors would become better acquainted with their advisee issues, time constraints would inhibit advisors from holding quality meetings to help resolve the problems this demanding advising situation presents. The goal of retention would not be met. Therefore, it may not be feasible to keep students under this type of criteria.

C. Elementary and Early Childhood Education Teacher Certification requirements vs. the General Education requirements reported in the DARS audit. Often the requirements that are needed for Teacher Certification are not clearly defined in the DARS audit. Bonnie Wilson suggested when there is a question about a course, the Office of the Registrar should be contacted to see if there are multiple listings for that course.

V. Ongoing Business:

A. Advisor listing changes from each department should be sent to Chad Cross; he will add or remove advisors accordingly.

B. Goals for 2010/2011--Keep the advising committee current and informed.

C. Objectives--CAN, Advisorgram, Advise-1, joint venture with the AAC.

VI. Reminders:

Mary Herrington-Perry summarized the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) for the committee to review.  This will be discussed at the next meeting.

NACADA Point of Contact CAN members are:  Monica Zeigler, Donna Dawson and Nancy Crone.

All Advisors are invited to attend and participate in the CAN meetings.  Chad will post    future CAN meetings on the EIU homepage calendar.

VII. Spring 2011CAN meetings will be held on Friday, 2/4, 3/4, and 4/15 from 1:00-2:30 in the Journalism Conference Room, Buzzard 2521.

VIII. Meeting adjourned at 2:15 p.m.

CAN Committee Meeting
Friday, October 15, 2010
1:00-2:30

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Don Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Christine Chambers

Absent:  Mary Herrington-Perry

Guests:  Nancy Crone, Shawn Schultz

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes from September 17th, 2010 were approved.

II. The meeting agenda was streamlined in advance by Ad Hoc committee members: Mary Herrington-Perry, Monica Zeigler and Chad Cross. 

A. The Ad Hoc committee discussed the following issues be addressed in Monica Zeigler’s presentation to the Council of Deans October 19th. meeting.

Mandatory Advisement and problems encountered due to inconsistency in advisement.

Importance of advisor training.

Importance of maintaining information in advisor folders.

Since Banner is now checking for prerequisite coursework, students will no longer receive credit for a course without meeting prerequisite requirements. Therefore, the CAN committee thought it would be beneficial for Monica to present this issue at the Council of Dean’s meeting. The committee suggested the Deans’ speak with Department Chairs’ to check prerequisite course requirements via their respective Curriculum Committees’. In the past students could slide through the system and not be penalized.

B. Mary Herrington-Perry and Monica Zeigler discussed potential changes to the length of time Academic Advising Center advises and maintains freshman folders. The reason for this change would establish a better relationship with new students and to improve their understanding of various major requirements. The current regulation with exception of Business, Early Childhood Education, and Elementary Education is 12 credits.  The option of holding folders until a student completed either 15 or 30 credits was discussed. This was brought to the committee for discussion. The committee suggested that Academic Advising keep freshman folders until 15 credit hours and a 2.0 grade point average was established. This rule is in accordance with the criteria established for Family Consumer Science majors. The committee recommended that the Academic Advising Center implement this rule then ask departments who would like to remain under the original procedure. 

III. Priority Business:

A. Waivers and Banner: Prerequisite checks will be implemented through Banner.

A student will not receive credit for a course without meeting the prerequisite unless a waiver is submitted. The waiver form is the only way for records to know this course should be counted for credit.

B. Online forms in FERPA. Questions were raised regarding the wording on the FERPA forms, i.e. “allowed vs compelled”, and how to verify the individual inquiring about a students’ confidential information is the individual authorized on the FERPA form. Monica Zeigler will provide follow-up information at the next meeting.

C. Imaging issues were discussed. Application Enabler will generate documents for paperless advising beginning Fall 2012. More information will follow when Admissions and Bill Wittsman make a decision regarding the process. Brenda Major will involve everyone affected in the decision making process.

D. CAN Facebook is available on our CAN network. Chad Cross will be monitoring those discussions.

E. Faculty from Arts & Humanities met with academic advisors at 9th Street Hall on October 7th to provide information about respective Interdisciplinary Minors.

Patty Poulter discussed African American Studies, Major and Minors and Jinhee Lee discussed the Asian American Studies Minor. The committee thought it would be helpful if there was a Minors’ fair so students would gain more information about complimenting a major. The committee suggested talking with Linda Moore, Director, or Bobbi Kingery, Graduate Place Officer in Career Services, about this possibility.

F. The role of advising to improve retention rates was the reason for Monica Zeigler’s presentation to the Council of Deans meeting as previously discussed.

G. A meeting regarding College Scheduler was held on October 13th.

The purpose of College Scheduler is to help students, especially Athletes, plan a schedule with time constraints. ITS is working on developing College Scheduler with plans to implement the program by Summer 2011.

IV. Ongoing Business:

A. Advisor listing changes from each Department send to Chad Cross, and, he will add or remove advisors accordingly.

B. Goals for 2010/2011-Keep the advising committee current and informed.

C. Objectives-CAN, Advisorgram, Advise-1, joint venture with the AAC.

V. Reminders:

NACADA Point of Contact CAN members are: Monica Zeigler, Donna Dawson and Nancy Crone.

All Advisors are invited to attend the CAN meetings.

VI. The next CAN meeting will be held on Friday, 11/12 from 1:00-2:30 in the Journalism Conference Room-Buzzard 2521.

VII. Meeting adjourned at 2:30p.m.

CAN Committee Meeting
Friday, September 17, 2010
1:00-2:50

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Don Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry, Christine Chambers

Guest: Nancy Crone

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes from April 14, 2010 were approved.

II. Thank-you Julie Dietz and Mary Herrington-Perry for speaking at the New Advisor Training regarding CAN. A very special thank-you to President Perry; for coming to the Senior Advisor Workshop to demonstrate support for advisors in their efforts on Appreciative Advising and retention of EIU students.

III. The agenda was streamlined in advance by the Ad Hoc committee members: Mary Herrington-Perry, Monica Zeigler and Chad Cross. Issues that were discussed included:

A. Centralized FERPA Release Form

B. On-Line Waivers

C. Athletics-majors for eligibility: Athletes cannot pursue some majors because of the limited class offerings. For example: Special Education

D. Chad Cross is continuing to post meeting dates on the University calendar and the CAN calendar.

IV. Priority Business

A. The Fall Advisorgram will include information from the Senior Advisor Coffee and the New Advisor Training presented on 9-8-and 9-15-10. B. Mandatory advisement-Inconsistency of advisement: Mandatory advisement is required in accordance with EIU regulations. It has come to the attention of the committee that some departments are not advising students prior to giving out alternate pins. It was determined that Monica Zeigler and Mary Herrington-Perry will present this concern at an upcoming Council of Deans meeting. It was further discussed that CAN representatives should inform their respective Department Chairs regarding mandatory advisement for consistency across the campus. Additional topics for presentation to the Council of Deans will be decided by the committee at the next CAN meeting.

C. Maintaining information in advisement folders across Departments is mandatory. Committee members should be informing Deans and Chairs to keep all information in the advisee folders when they are received.

D. F’s to be included on Transfer Evaluations request initiated by Monica Zeigler and discussed with Sue Harvey. Update when issues resolved.

E. College Scheduler: Mary Herrington-Perry reported the request for purchase has positive support and has been sent to Barbara Burke, Athletic Director for review.

V. Continued Discussions

A. Banner-Priority Registration/Alternate Pin/Athletes

B. Advisor listing changes from each Department send to Chad Cross. He will add or remove advisors accordingly.

C. Elluminate used in orientation for advisement of military and out of state transfer students.

D. Credit hour adjustments on Banner-notify registrar

Students-off academic warning/probation

Students-put on academic warning/probation

VI. Pending Business

USelect vs. Transfer Relations paper list

Goals for 2010-2011: Keep the advising community current and informed

VII. Reminders

October 7th from 8:00-9:00 a.m. Chairs from Arts and Humanities will be providing an informative meeting regarding Interdisciplinary minors to the advisors at 9th Street Hall. CAN members are invited.

NACADA Point of Contact CAN members are: Monica Zeigler, Donna Dawson and Nancy Crone

VIII. Fall 2010 CAN meetings will be held on the remaining Fridays from 1-2:30: 10/15, and 11/12 in the Journalism Conference Room-Buzzard 2521.

IX. Meeting adjourned at 2:50 p.m. 

// var sc_project=3893238; var sc_invisible=1; var sc_partition=31; var sc_click_stat=1; var sc_security="2d86dd63"; //

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
11:00-12:30 p.m.

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Chris Mitchell, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Christine Chambers

Absent: Mary Herrington-Perry, Nancy Crone, Don Dawson

I. The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. The minutes of March 10th were approved.

II. The agenda was streamlined by the Ad Hoc committee members: Mary Herrington-Perry, Monica Zeigler and Chad Cross in advance. Issues that were discussed included:

A. Integrative Learning: Chad Cross reported the Integrative Learning web site has been linked to CAN. Service Learning will then be added to the Integrative Learning site.

B. Chad Cross reported posting the CAN meeting on the University calendar had been completed.

C. Students placed on academic warning or probation:

Office of the Registrar will be sending email notices to students on academic warning and probation effective spring 2010.

If a hold is placed on a student’s account, they will be able to view the type of “hold” but unable to view their grades, transcripts or audit on PAWS.

Student’s MUST present their Panther Card or a government issued photo ID in person to the Office of the Registrar to access this information. The committee recommended that applicable types of photo identification be provided in the information given to students; Passport, State ID, etc.

III. Priority Business:

Monica Zeigler provided the following updates for discussion:

A. The procedure for wait-listing courses is undergoing a pilot study using registration for SPE 3500. Students are to see their advisors for assistance as necessary to implement the procedure. Committee members raised concerns with students meeting the 72 hour time frame when notice of an available seat is given on a Friday.

B. Monica Zeigler reported limited availability of seats in General Education courses for fall 2010. Presently, there are enough seats available to fulfill the needs of 1600 students with a goal to provide seats to 1700 students for fall 2010 semester. However, enrollment of 1800-1900 students is the Provost’s goal for fall 2010.

C. Monica discussed the use of Elluminate software to provide scheduling information to off-campus students; particularly military and out of state students. Donna Dawson discussed her use of Skype software. Skype is free to military as a means of communicating with family.

D. A discussion of potential guest presentations was continued. Potential speakers include Rob Miller and Sandy Cox on “Helping Students in Distress”. The committee agreed this presentation would potentially be scheduled in September or October to keep the advising community informed on current policies and procedures for assisting students in distress. Scheduling this presentation on a Friday, approximately 1-2:30, would allow for a greater attendance for the campus community as well as attendance by the CAN committee members. The presenters have agreed to a September 24t date; time and place to be confirmed. The committee agreed that snacks would be available similar to the coffee hour format. However, it was also agreed that interested participants be encouraged to bring their own lunch if desired.

E. Chad Cross initiated a discussion regarding retention of students. Notices have been sent to Department Chairs with a follow-up notice to advisors if an advisee has not registered for classes. The committee agreed this notification should occur at two times, once for juniors and seniors and once for freshman and sophomores a week following their respective registration dates.

F. Chad Cross further supplied the committee with information from Enrollment Management. Students that “stop out” of the University will be sent a postcard that will provide general information for readmission and registration procedures.

IV. Pending Business:

A. Julie Dietz presented a discussion on the policy regarding medical withdrawals. She discovered that students with a medical withdrawal even though their tuition was refunded still had to complete a financial aid appeal. Because the withdrawal caused either insufficient credits completed or lack of progression, their financial aid was stopped. Julie indicated she will check to see if the classes are listed as a W or not listed at all on the student’s transcripts.

B. NACADA Point of Contact CAN members are: Monica Zeiger, Donna Dawson and Nancy Crone.

V. Reminders:

A. Credit Hour adjustments on Banner-Notify Registrar

Students-off academic warning/probation

Students-put on academic warning/probation

B. Veterans/Military Personnel

Send names and E numbers to Monica Zeigler

C. The 2010-2011 Catalog will be available in PDF format for printing beginning May 2010. Chad Cross indicated this document will be significantly longer than before as each section will be separated into respective headings allowing for easier location of information.

VI. Fall 2010 CAN meetings dates were set. Meetings will be held on the following Fridays from 1-2:30: 9/17, 10/15, and 11/12 in the Journalism Conference Room-Buzzard 2521.

VII. The meeting adjourned at 12:30 p.m.

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
11:00-12:30p.m.

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Chris Mitchell, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Don Dawson, Christine Chambers, Guest: Nancy Crone

I. The meeting was called to order at 12:30 a.m. The minutes of January 27th were approved.

II. Monica Zeigler expressed appreciation to all committee members for their feedback and to Christine Chambers and Chad Cross for updating and posting the SP 2010 Advisorgram.

III. Mary Herrington-Perry provided an update regarding use of the College Scheduler software program. This has been submitted to the Provost for approval. Funding is an issue.

IV. Prior to this meeting, Chad Cross provided the contact advisor lists to each CAN representative for review in order to update information regarding SP 2010 advisors. The changes that were sent have been completed. However, further updates are warranted before this is posted.

V. Monica Zeigler discussed the advisement problems that follow when students change their major and are allowed to hand deliver their advisement folder to respective departments. A discussion regarding procedural changes followed. Academic Advising will be mailing student advisement folders to departments. Committee members discussed their respective procedures and felt that the lapse of time before receiving a folder may interfere with advisement conferences. Therefore, whether a folder will be sent by mail or with the student will be contingent on the urgency on completing advisement. When a student changes a major to a specific department, the office manager or departmental advisor will be notified as to how the folder will be delivered; either hand delivered by the student or through campus mail.

VI. Monica Zeigler discussed the issue of funding for NACADA membership renewals. It was agreed that NACADA memberships will be continued for those choosing to be a point of contact for CAN committee members. Donna Dawson, Nancy Crone and Monica Zeigler volunteered to be designated as contacts for disseminating information from NACADA resources.

VII. Discussion for potential guest speakers followed. Committee members thought it would be more beneficial if the guest speakers would present information for the University community rather than only CAN committee members. Some potential speakers included the Counseling Center, the Office of Disability Services, and Robert Miller, General Counsel. Mary Harrington-Perry suggested a presentation by Robert Miller and Sandy Cox on “Helping Students in Distress”. This discussion will be continued in upcoming CAN meetings

VIII. Pending Business to be discussed at the next meeting includes:

Setting dates for fall 2010 CAN meetings

Information for dislocated workers

Fall Advisor training dates and CAN member participation

Goals for 2009-2010 academic year

IX. Advisement Reminders:

A. Textbook Rental: Return spring books to old location (by Pemberton Hall)

Pick-up summer and fall 2010 textbooks at new location (by Carmen Hall)

Return Summer textbooks to new location

B. Credit Hour adjustments on Banner-Notify Registrar

Students-off academic warning/probation

Students-put on academic warning/probation

C. Veterans/Military Personnel

Send names and E numbers to Monica Zeigler

D. 2010-2011 Catalog

Printable version tentatively available at the beginning of May

E. Academic Handbook

Gone to print and should be available by March 31st.

Handbook on line with a link to CAN

X. Discussion ended with ideas on how to generate campus wide advisor participation in the CAN committee meetings. The committee agreed that posting upcoming meetings on the Campus Homepage would be a way to notify advisors of meeting dates and agenda.

XII. Monica Zeigler reminded committee members of the final meeting date for Sp 2010 set for Wednesday April 14th 11:00-12:30 held at the Journalism Conference Room-Buzzard 2521.

Meeting was adjourned at 2:00.

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
12:30-2:00 p.m.

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Dr. Mary Herrington-Perry, Dr. Julie Dietz, Chad Cross, Donna Dawson, Don Dawson, Christine Chambers

Guests: Nancy Crone, Mark Bates, Intern

Absent: Dr. Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson

I. The meeting was called to order at 12:30 p.m. The minutes of December 2, 2009 were sent to committee members by e-mail for review. The minutes were approved.

II. The CAN Ad Hoc committee met prior to this January 27th meeting and presented a prioritized agenda and an update to committee members. Chad Cross completed a posting of additional information to the CAN listserve.

III. Writing Across the Curriculum Proposal was discussed. The committee supports the proposal as it will facilitate the development of students’ writing skills. The committee recommended that the Writing Across the Curriculum documentation be included in the students’ degree audit and on the students’ grade report if possible through Banner or RePortal. This will provide information to update advisors and students on meeting this requirement for graduation purposes. Further questions were raised to provide clarification as to possible holds on registration, the department(s) to be responsible for updating transcripts, and designation of WI courses in Banner.

IV. Advisorgram items were discussed. Committee members agreed that the following information will be provided in the upcoming Advisorgram. A suggestion was made to post the SP2010 Advisorgram prior to the advisor Coffee Hour of February 10, 2010.

Any significant changes to department coursework; newly approved courses or major program changes with links to each department (PLS, Health Studies, FA)

A link to acronyms used by Eastern Illinois. Changes to waiver polices generated during Fall, 2009. Advisors can then refer to the CAN website to obtain the most recent information

V. Dr. Mary Herrington-Perry will provide the Academic Handbook 2009-2010 to committee members for review.

VI. Departmental use of current technology: Facebook/Twitter was discussed. It was felt these methods of communication are effective depending on the student populations served. Many departments are using Facebook for Alumni updates. Departments are using major listserves which effectively and efficiently disseminate information and provide answers.

VII. Registration for Online and Continuing Education courses was discussed. A discussion regarding the types of advisement problems followed. The committee agreed that restrictions and prerequisites for Online and Continuing Education courses built in PAWS and Banner would provide the information necessary to decrease the advisement problems for students registering for these courses.

VIII Registration for students who are admitted late was discussed. Situations included students that resolve a hold due to financial difficulties after the time period to add courses has expired. Students are referred to Department Chairs who in turn add students to courses without advisor knowledge. The discussion emphasized that students should not be added to courses after the add date. It was felt that students have missed too much class time to be successful. In addition, they are incurring debt for classes they do not need. This needed to be emphasized to department chairpersons.

IX. The policy for add/drop timelines was then raised for discussion. The rationale for the difference in timelines was questioned. Concurrent timeline regardless of the date was presented as a way to help resolve registering for incorrect courses.

X. Dr. Mary Herrington-Perry provided additional information regarding the College Scheduler software program. This program interfaces with Banner and would prevent students from making scheduling mistakes. Dr. Perry will schedule a demonstration for CAN committee members, as well as Cindy Tozer and Sue Harvey.

XI. Updates and reminders for advisement as follows:

Upcoming Advisor Training Information Session: February 10, 2010; Rm.1418 Klehm Hall 1-2:00.

Mathmatics: Students must receive a grade of C or better to progress to the next level.

Foreign Language: Students can progress to FL1102 with a D in FL1101.

Aleks Math Placement Test will not be used for FA2010 or SP2011.

XII. The next CAN committee meetings are scheduled for March 10th and April 14th 12:30-2:00 in the Student Success Center Conference Room lll4, 9th. St. Hall. Meeting was adjourned at 2:00.

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday December 2, 2009
1:00-2:30 p.m.

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Julie Dietz, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Don Dawson, Christine Chambers

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes of October 21, 2009 were sent to committee members by e-mail for review. The minutes were approved.

II. Hand-outs regarding Procedures for Referring Military/Veterans and a Resource List for Veterans/Military Personnel were distributed to committee members by Monica. Mary Herrington-Perry provided additional information regarding rationale for development of the EIU, Veterans website. It was decided that the CAN website will link to the VA website. The electronic file will be sent to Chad.

III. Alternate Pin Numbers were discussed. It has come to the attention of committee members that alternate pin numbers are being released to students when they have not met with their academic advisor. A reminder for advisors will be placed on Advise 1.

IV. Priority registration and questions regarding modifications to Banner were raised. Mary Herrington-Perry will talk with Sue Harvey to determine if the upgrades to Banner will allow for priority registration flags.

This discussion raised another issue regarding who should have priority registration.

V. Monica Zeigler identified some concerns related to the advising of athletes and will meet with Cindy Tozer in the near future to discuss them.

VI. The policy on Academic Warning and Probation was reviewed. The question was raised about academic dismissal of students on academic probation at the sophomore level at the beginning of the semester; then accumulated credits achieving junior status by semesters end without earning the 2.25 requirement. Our discussion focused on how students are advised regarding this policy. It has come to the attention of the committee that students are advised both ways. (Either, the gpa requirement will be evaluated based on the status at the beginning of the semester. Or, the gpa requirement will depend on the credits earned at the end of the semester). Mary Herrington-Perry reported that the policy in 1985/86 was vague. It was clarified at some later time. She further reported that Sue Harvey stated a sophomore on academic probation must meet the 2.25 semester grade point average at the end of the semester if junior status was achieved. According to Sue Harvey this policy has always been enforced. Mary Herrington-Perry will request that Sue Harvey post clarification and an explanation of the policy on Academic Warning and Probation on Advise 1.

VII Monica provided an ALEKS, math placement test, update from Dr. Peter Andrews. ALEKS will be in effect beginning Fall, 2010 for all incoming Freshman and transfer students that have not taken a transferable math course at the community college.

VIII. At the last committee meeting a discussion of administrative processes regarding notification of students on warning and probation was initiated. Sue Harvey was contacted and verified that no specific letters are sent to students. Academic warning and probation is designated on PAWS grade reports that students access.

As a follow-up, Monica provided clarification to the committee regarding the student notification process for academic dismissal. Students are notified in writing and by e-mail if they are dismissed from the University. No notice is provided to a student placed on probation or warning. If there is any hold regarding financial aid, the student cannot access PAWS to view grades on their audit. Sue Harvey stated that students with those holds can get grade information by coming in person to the Office of the Registrar.

IX. Investigating the options for using technology for information flow in order to streamline the committee agenda was raised. Chad Cross, Monica Zeigler and Mary Herrington-Perry volunteered to meet as an Ad-Hoc committee prior to the January, 27th CAN meeting to determine or prioritize agenda items. This is to improve the effectiveness of our meeting by sending out some information prior to the meeting. This will allow committee members time for review of information to allow for a more focused discussion. This format will be reviewed following the pilot of the Ad-Hoc meeting.

X. A discussion regarding the Writing Across the Curriculum Proposal was initiated. Due to time constraints, the committee did not discuss the proposal in detail. Mary Herrington-Perry felt that the proposal will be acted on before Fall 2011, but it is unlikely it will be effective before then.

XI. Spring semester 2010 CAN meetings were scheduled on Wednesdays from 12:30-2:00 at the Student Success Center at 9th St. Hall. The dates are: January 27th, March 10th, and April 14th. (The January 27th meeting will focus on the ADVISORGRAM to be posted in February).

XII. Meeting was adjourned at 2:45.

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday October 21, 2009
1:00-2:30 pm

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Chris Mitchell, Julie Dietz, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Don Dawson, Christine Chambers

ABSENT: Mary Herrington-Perry

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes of September 23, 2009 were sent to committee members on October 2, 2009 by e-mail for review. The minutes were then approved.

II. Monica expressed appreciation to all committee members for their comments and feedback to the Fall ADVISORGRAM. Monica further expressed appreciation to Chad Cross and Chris Chambers for circulating and generating information for the Fall ADVISORGRAM that was posted on October 7, 2009. .

III. The committee was in approval that the list of Acronyms for Eastern Organizations provided by Monica Zeigler be posted on the CAN website and in the SP2010 ADVISORGRAM.

IV. Information regarding the Alec math placement test was discussed. The Alec math placement test will become effective FA2010. Due to the administrative drop policy the test needs to be completed within the first 2-3 days of classes. The student will then have time to change to the appropriate math course as needed. The committee agreed that a link to the Math department be added to the CAN website for additional information.

V. Contact advisors for the CAN website were discussed. Each CAN representative will contact respective Department Chairs to determine which advisors should be designated as the initial point of contact on the CAN website. It was further discussed that CAN should be a point of contact for any new EIU advisors with links added for accessing general advisement questions.

VI. The advisor listing for each College and Department was discussed. Chad Cross indicated that he would request a report of all advisors by College and Department each semester from the Records office for the committee to review. The advisor listing for Fall, 2009 will be reviewed and finalized at the December 2nd meeting.

VI. Orientation for freshmen and transfer students was discussed. Orientation for new students will be extended by one week allowing for four Gateway Boost days.

VII The committee discussed which forms and procedures should be posted on the CAN website. It was decided to keep forms and procedures on the website that are already present. The ROTC course form can be located online at the ROTC website. It was further decided that a link to the Veteran’s website should be added for dissemination of information. Procedures were discussed for disseminating information for educational benefits for dislocated workers and nontraditional students. This discussion will be continued.

VIII. It was recommended that the Director of Textbook Rental be contacted to provide additional information regarding the shortage of textbooks for classes. This information may then be included in the Spring, 2010 ADVISORGRAM.

IX. A discussion of administrative processes regarding notification of students on warning and probation was initiated. Sue Harvey was contacted and verified that no specific letters are sent to students. Academic warning and probation is designated on PAWS grade reports that students access.

X. CAN committee members, Christine Chambers, Chris Mitchell, Donna Dawson and Chad Cross requested to continue their NACADA membership.

X. Monica Zeigler reminded committee members of the next CAN meeting set for December 2nd. 2009 from 1:00-2:30 held at the Vending Lounge (Union). Each CAN member will check schedules in order to determine meeting dates for SP2010 semester. Options for a new location for the CAN meetings were also discussed for SP2010 semester.

X. Meeting was adjourned at 2:30.

CAN Committee Meeting
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
1:00-2:30 p.m.

Committee Minutes

PRESENT: Monica Zeigler, Chris Mitchell, Chad Cross, Bonnie Wilson, Donna Dawson, Don Dawson, Christine Chambers, Guest: Nancy Crone

ABSENT: Mary Herrington-Perry, Julie Dietz

I. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. The minutes of April 9, 2009 were accepted with changes.

II. Monica Zeigler expressed appreciation to Dr. Julie Dietz for presenting the introduction regarding CAN at the advisor training workshop for all new advisors. The introduction “What is CAN?” emphasized the importance of Faculty as well as Academic Advisors. Monica also expressed appreciation to Dr. Mary Herrington-Perry for presenting information on DARS and for reviewing resources on the computer. Monica reported the advisor training sessions were successful, and the new advisor training sessions included more faculty advisors than previous workshops.

Monica further expressed appreciation to Chad Cross for his timely and continued support to post information to the CAN website.

III. The date for posting the first Advisorgram for fall semester was set for October, 7, 2009.

IV. Content to be included in the Fall 2009 Advisorgram was discussed. The committee agreed that information should include new actions effective fall, 2009 along with a review of critical information specific to academic advisors. It was concluded that information include: waiver rules, math placement, time lines for upgrading PAWS/Banner system, late retroactive withdrawl request, effects of coursework taken at EIU during summer semester resulting in academic dismissal, effects of transfer course work and academic status, major course requirements with a link to specific Departments.

V. Contact advisors for the CAN website were discussed. Contact advisors for each College and Department were reviewed by the committee. Changes were made to designate a contact advisor to represent each College and Department. The contact advisor list was finalized. Chad Cross will make the necessary changes to the CAN website.

VI. The advisor listing for each College and Department was discussed. Chad Cross indicated that he would request a report of all advisors by College and Department each semester from the Records office for the committee to review. The advisor listing for Fall, 2009 will be reviewed and finalized at the next meeting.

VII. Monica Zeigler reminded committee members of the next CAN meeting set for October 21, 2009 from 1:00-2:30 held at the Vending Lounge (Union).

VIII. Meeting was adjourned at 2:30.

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, March 12, 2009, 12:15 pm - 1:30 pm

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Donna Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Don Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry

I The meeting was called to order at 12:16 pm. The minutes from the meeting of November 13, 2008 were accepted as received.

II Monica Zeigler extended thanks to Chris Mitchell for the Advisorgram and Chad Cross for the website updates.

III The CAN website content was reviewed and discussed, link-by-link. The committee suggested changes and updates to Chad. Chad discussed the new
EIU web template, but said it would be a while before implementation.

IV

(1) Advisee files: Monica Zeigler noted that advising folders still have SSNs on them, not E-numbers; discussion of the feasibility of rectifying this was discussed. The consensus was that advisors should correct it on their advisee folders, as this is the most efficient approach.

(2) Online catalog: Monica Zeigler announced that there would be no more print catalogs issued.

(3) Update of Summer Debut schedule: Monica Zeigler gave a handout of dates for this.

(4) Advisor Training feedback: Monica Zeigler said they went well; there were 30 present on the 10th and 25 present on the 11th.

(5) Grad Student Ambassador to promote CAN: Monica Zeigler forwarded the idea that, instead of an undergrad student representative, the committee should appoint a graduate student to be an ambassador for CAN to faculty and professionals at EIU. Chad Cross recommended that GSAC (the graduate student government) make the appointment. Discussion ensued, and the consensus was that Monica Zeigler should approach GSAC about the idea.

(6) NACADA memberships: Monica Zeigler asked if we all wanted to review and handed out renewal applications. Chris Mitchell asked if funding was available to renew all of us; Monica Zeigler said yes, there was. She said that all who want to renew should fill out the online application and return to Monica Zeigler. The link is

https://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Membership/indiv_appl.htm

V Monica Zeigler announced updates to Advisor Coffee and Training dates for 2009-2010. They are as follows:

Senior Advisor Coffees: Sept. 9, 9-10 am; Sept. 10, 9:30-10:30 am,
location TBA

New Advisor Training: Sept. 16, 8 am – 12 pm, in the 9th St. Hall E-Classroom; Sept. 16, 1 – 4 pm, in Booth 4440 (with a CAN faculty presenting from 1-1:15); Sept. 17, 8 am – 12 pm, in Booth 4440 (with a CAN faculty presenting 8-8:15); and Sept. 17, 1 – 4 pm, in the 9th St. Hall E-Classroom.

VI Monica Zeigler announced the Fall 2009 registration dates. They are as follows:

March 23: Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate
March 30: Seniors
April 6: Juniors
April 13: Sophomores
April 20: Freshmen

VII Monica Zeigler reminded the committee of the final 2008-2009 meeting:
Thursday, April 9, from 12:15 – 1:30 pm.

VIII The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 pm

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:15 pm - 1:30 pm

 PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Don Dawson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Chris Thompson (advising intern), Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: none

I The meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm. The minutes from the meeting of November 13, 2008 were accepted.

II The committee decided to publish one Advisorgram for the spring advising
season, to appear in the first half of February.

III DARS updates were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry announced that u.select
training was to be rescheduled (TBA); the training would be in the E-Classroom
in 9th St. Hall. She also asked for commentary on the document she produced,
“Advising with Banner and the Degree Audit System.” Discussion ensued.

IV Advisorgram content for the spring advising season was discussed and
finalized. The following items will appear on the Advisorgram:

Reminder about new EWP guidelines

A link to finding the Hold Codes for Internet Native BANNER

Clarification of the Foreign Language Requirement

An update to the Late/Retroactive Withdrawal policy

New Cultural Diversity courses

The PAWS “hiccup” of Friday, January 16 and what to do if a student is charged for late drop because of not being able to access PAWS then

“SOATEST” function in Internet Native Banner— Honors designations now appear there

Dates for advisor training

Summer/Fall 2009 Registration Dates

V Advisor coffee content was discussed and dates announced. Advisor coffees will
be held Tuesday, February 10 from 9:30 to 10:30 am and Wednesday, February 11 from 9:00 to 10:00 am; both would be in the Arcola/Tuscola Room. The following topics will be addressed:

Announcements of new policies regarding: the Foreign Language requirement, registration status based on the sum of hours completed and in progress, Senior Seminars, the EWP, and Math Placement

The new u.select system

Discipline-specific changes to majors and minors

New Cultural Diversity courses

Update on the B.A. in General Studies

Updates on BANNER, DARS, Transfer Evaluations, and rePortal

Late/Retroactive Withdrawals

Change of major process

Running transfer evaluation audits

Internships and Outside Experiences

ROTC policies

Announcements of Fall 2009 Advisor Coffees and Training Sessions

Monica Zeigler announced the dates for Fall Advisor Coffees and New Advisor Training. Coffees will be September 9 from 9:00 to 10:00 am and September 10 from 9:30 to 10:30 am (location TBA). Training sessions will be September 16 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm in the E-Classroom of 9th St Hall; September 16 from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Booth 4440; September 17 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm in Booth 4440; and September 17 from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm in the E-Classroom of 9th St. Hall.

VI Registration dates for Summer and Fall 2009 were announced. Bonnie Wilson circulated a chart of these dates, which would be attached to the Advisorgram.

VII Monica Zeigler reminded the committee of remaining spring meetings: March 12 and April 9.

VIII Mary Herrington-Perry announced that there would be no more print catalogs issued. Chad Cross announced that he will provide updates on the hits to the CAN website.

IX The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 pm

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, November 13, 2008, 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Don Dawson, Donna Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry

I
The minutes from the meeting of October 16, 2008 were accepted with changes.

II
BANNER and Registration Updates and Issues were discussed. Monica Zeigler advised that caution is warranted when using Internet Native Banner so as not to accidentally make critical changes to student information, etc. She also reminded the committee of the dates for Fall 2009 registration: March 23 for Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate, March 30 for Seniors, April 6 for Juniors, April 13 for Sophomores, and April 20 for Freshmen. Discussion ensued on the topic of separating summer advising/scheduling from that of fall. The consensus was that that was not necessary. The topic of Senior Seminars was also discussed. The committee agreed that the number of Senior Seminars needed to be increased (both face-to-face and online) and that this should be communicated to the appropriate channels. Monica Zeigler announced that the advisor list on BANNER has been updated and should be accurate now. Finally, the committee agreed that at the January meeting the BANNER manual Mary Herrington-Perry created would be discussed.

III
DARS Issues were discussed. Monica Zeigler announced that CAS U-Select training would be held December 3rd, from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm, in the 9th St. Computer Lab.

IV
Goals for 2008-2009 were revisited. Prominent here was the committee’s decision to finalize ADVISORGRAM content in the January meeting so as to publish the ADVISORGRAM within the first two weeks of February 2009.

V
Miscellaneous issues discussed:

(1) Monica Zeigler announced that Faculty Training dates would be determined shortly, then announced via Advise-1.

(2) Monica Zeigler reminded the committee of the grade-reporting timeline for the end of Fall Semester: Grade rosters available in BANNER Self-Service on December 11; Grades due at 4:00 pm December 22; Grades available through BANNER Self-Service and rePortal December 23. (3) Monica Zeigler reminded the committee about the process of calculating grades for repeated classes.

VI
The dates for Spring 2009 meetings were confirmed: January 29, March 12, and April 9. Time on each meeting day is 12:15 pm to 1:30 pm.

VII
The meeting was adjourned at 1:12 pm.

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, October 16, 2008, 11:30am-1:00pm

PRESENT: Chad Cross, Don Dawson, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary
Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Christine Chambers

I
The minutes from the meeting of September 18, 2008 were accepted as received.

II
Monica Zeigler reminded the committee of the Registration dates.

III
A packet was circulated among the committee regarding advising with BANNER and DARS. Monica Zeigler asked the committee to review the packet and raise questions as needed.

IV
The CAN website was discussed. Chad Cross reported that it was getting many “hits.” Monica Zeigler observed that the general perception of CAN still seems to be that it is a group of professional advisors, not a faculty group. She noted that we need to emphasize that CAN is a faculty group, and suggested that we appoint an “ambassador” to serve that purpose. Mary Herrington-Perry suggested that a grad student do that. Discussion was tabled for a later meeting. Our three faculty members agreed to present at the training sessions based on their schedules. The dates will be announced.

V
BANNER access was discussed. Bonnie Wilson reported that Internet Native BANNER was not working so well on the “Firefox” and “Safari” web browsers, and recommended using Microsoft’s “Internet Explorer.”

VI
RePORTAL access was discussed. Julie Dietz asked if advisors were allowed to access RePORTAL, for there has been some running-grade issues that would necessitate its usage. Monica Zeigler observed that RePORTAL was easier to use than ASTRA, and said she would ask Sue Harvey if all advisors (those with an advisor code) can access RePORTAL. Presently, faculty have to request access through their chairs.

VII
Updating of the advisor list was discussed. At present updates are still needed from History and English.

VIII
Projected spring CAN meeting dates were discussed. Monica Zeigler requested that the committee look over its spring schedules for that purpose.

IX
Mary Herrington-Perry gave a presentation on the new USelect system, which will help transfer students articulate their courses. Monica Zeigler observed that we should invite Gateway advisors to see the formal USelect presentation meeting. The committee agreed. The date is December 3, 2008 from 10:30 to 12:00 at the 9th St. hall computer Room.

X
Monica Zeigler announced that the link to the CAN website is now under the “Faculty” tab of the EIU main page, as is the USelect link.

XI
The next Advisorgram was discussed. Monica Zeigler requested that we make our goal for having the Advisorgram out in January. The committee would have to assemble the items for the November meeting or at a special meeting at the end of January. The January meeting would eliminate the February CAN meeting. Discussion was tabled until schedules could be had from committee members.

Post information: The committee decided that January 29th was an acceptable date.

XII
The meeting was adjourned at 1:12 pm.

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, September 18, 2008, 11:30am-1:00pm

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Donna Dawson, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler

ABSENT: Don Dawson, Julie Dietz

I
The minutes from the meeting of April 17, 2008 were accepted as received.

II
The committee decided that due to the ambient noise level in the Food Court, the meeting location would switch to the Vending Lounge of the Union. This change would take effect immediately.

III
Updating of the contact advisor list was discussed. It was agreed that the representatives of each academic area would verify the name of the contact advisor for each constituent department as soon as possible.

IV
Monica Zeigler gave a reminder of the drop/add policy for dissemination to Advise-1 and the Advisorgram.

V
The possibility of having a link to the CAN website within the “Faculty” tab on the main EIU website was discussed. All agreed that this was a good idea and that it should be enabled as soon as possible.

VI
The content and timing of the Advisorgram was discussed. A list of information to be included in the Advisorgram was decided upon, and Chris Mitchell agreed that he would assemble the Advisorgram prior to the advising season of Fall 2008.

VII
The progress of the Seats Committee was discussed. Monica Zeigler gave the updates to this regard, and discussion ensued.

VIII

The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 pm. 

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, April 17, 2008, 11:30am-1:00pm

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Don Dawson, Donna Dawson, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Julie Dietz, Bonnie Wilson

I The minutes from the meeting of March 20, 2008 were accepted as received.

II BANNER and Registration Updates and Issues were discussed. Monica Zeigler made a proposal to ask Sue Harvey to push back the first date of registration to October 20. All agreed to this proposal.

III DARS Updates, Transfer Orientation Updates, Transcript/Transfer Evaluation Issues, and Advisor Handbook Issues were discussed. DARS: Monica Zeigler reported that Sue Harvey and Mary Herrington-Perry spoke prior to the meeting on the need for more DARS training sessions. All agreed that training sessions should be available for next year, especially for new faculty and new advisors. Monica Zeigler asked that if the committee had any ideas for improving training as per their experience with their home departments to let her know. Transfer Orientation: Monica Zeigler reported that she has had a few issues to deal with; the main concern was that a student’s IP was included in their credit count for the purposes of registration. There was a particular concern that this would not be good for our transfer students. Transcript/Transfer Evaluation Issues: Monica Zeigler reported that issues remain regarding the codes appearing in the transfer evaluation. Discussion ensued on this topic. Mary Herrington-Perry made a clarification: the transfer evaluation is not meant to do matching to curricular-requirement groupings; that is the function of the degree audit. She also reported that she found a way to “trick” BANNER to order a transfer evaluation in BANNER Self-Serve, using a “what-if” audit. She will email Monica Zeigler as to the steps on how to do this. Advisor Handbook Updates: Mary Herrington-Perry reported that Chad Cross collected a bunch of stuff and she organized the information on a handout, which was circulated at the meeting. It contains common questions such as “How do I access BANNER Self-Service?”, “How do I identify my advisees?”, etc. Monica Zeigler said she will hand this out to the advisors. Mary Herrington-Perry also distributed a handout of a web page that gives instructions on how to use different parts of BANNER, as well as a directory of all of the aspects of rePORTAL and a sample grade report. She also noted that he handbook is taking a bit longer than originally anticipated, but it is moving forward. Monica Zeigler asserted that September is our goal for the handbook to be completed.

IV 2008-2009 Catalog Updates were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry reported that it should be here very soon.

V Goals for 2008-2009. (Item deleted due to time constraints.)

VI An open discussion was held regarding miscellaneous issues and information.
Monica Zeigler reported that she contacted Cole Rogers, current president of Student Government, about getting a representative appointed. He’s going to get back to her on this. Position elections for CAN Chair and Vice-Chair were held. Monica Zeigler will continue as chair and Chris Mitchell as vice-chair.

VII The Seats Committee’s progress was discussed. Monica Zeigler reported that that committee is telling students to wait until the end of May to check again about seats being added in courses. (We’ll find out May 28 how many more will be added across the board.) Webinars were discussed. Monica Zeigler asked the committee if we find webinars aimed at advisors that are less expensive than ones in the past, should we pursue them? Discussion ensued — opinion was divided. Monica Zeigler said that she will explore some options and will let the committee know.

 

VIII Meeting days and times for Fall 2008 were discussed. It was agreed that they would be as follows: September 18, October 16, November 13; all from 12 pm to 1:30 pm in the University Food Court. The meeting time was a problem for some people, but the time was generally agreed upon. IX Meeting was adjourned at 1:30 pm.

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, March 20, 2008, 11:30am-1:00pm

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Chad Cross, Donna Dawson, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Don Dawson, Julie Dietz

I The minutes from the meeting of February 14, 2008 were accepted as received
with one minor change to VIII by Mary Herrington-Perry.

I-a (added agenda item) Webinars, NACADA, and use of funds. Monica Zeigler
reported that she paid for her NACADA membership from our budget. She
raised the issue that the webinars have been very under-attended and therefore may be a waste of budgetary funds. She suggested as an alternative usage of the funds would be to enroll the entire steering committee in NACADA. All agreed to this idea. (The national conference is in Chicago in October this year.)

II BANNER, Registration, Transfer, and DARS issues were discussed. Monica
Zeigler brought up an issue regarding the readability of the transfer articulation
reports (many faculty are calling her, confused as to how to read it). Discussion ensued on how to alleviate this. Monica Zeigler suggested the need to have a “FAQ” link on the CAN website that would give FAQs about BANNER, DARS, etc. Chris Chambers suggested that a BANNER handbook would be a good idea.
Chad Cross reported that there is an apparent glitch in the BANNER system regarding EIU4 status. According to DARS, once a student is flagged as being in EIU4, they remain in EIU4 permanently. ITS is working on a fix for this.

II-a Feedback from meetings with Sue Harvey. (Item deleted.)

III DARS Update— Mary Herrington-Perry. (Item deleted.)

III-a DARS trainingwas discussed. Monica Zeigler noted that there are still issues
regarding faculty nonattendance at DARS training. We’ll continue to explore the issue.

III-b Transfer orientation update by Monica Zeigler. She distributed the updated
schedule of orientations.

IV 2008-2009 Catalog update by Mary Herrington-Perry. The catalog is at the
printer, and should be here in April.

V Goals for 2007/2008 were discussed. Monica Zeigler reported that the CEPS
advisor list needs to be updated and she will contact Julie Dietz regarding this.

V-aAdvisorgram/Acalog/Advise~1- Items to be posted – discussion. Monica Zeigler
said that we’re going to hold off on advisorgram because most of the info is
regarding BANNER and we intend to create a BANNER handbook to address the plethora of issues.

V-b Banner semester calculation message. (Item tabled until April meeting.)

V-c DARS updates. (Item deleted.)

V-d Transfer orientation information. (Item deleted.)

VI Open Discussion— Other issues/information. Mary Herrington-Perry reported
that a proposal is on the table at CAA to increase the Foreign Language
Requirement from 2 high-school equivalency years to 3 high-school equivalency
years. Also the student government’s proposal to increase the Cultural Diversity
Requirement seems to still be on the books. Discussion ensued.

VII Seats Update. Monica Zeigler reported that the process seems to be working well;
we still have some follow-up to do. Mary Herrington-Perry reported that if
current acceptances yield a 40% rate, we will have 1900 freshmen.

VIII Spring 2008 meetings-Thursday, 11:30am to 1:00pm, University Food Court. The committee is requested to e-mail teaching schedules for Fall 08 to Monica ASAP.

CAN Committee Meeting
Thursday, February 14, 2008 Minutes

Committee Members:
Present: Monica Zeigler, Chairperson, Academic Advising Center
Christine Chambers, College of Science
Donald Dawson, Gateway
Donna Dawson, College of Business
Julie Dietz, College of Ed & Professional Studies
Mary Herrington-Perry, Academic Affairs
Chad Cross, Guest (Website update)
Absent: Christopher Mitchell, Vice-Chairperson, Bonnie Wilson, Certifying Deans, Student Representative- To Be Appointed

I Meeting called to order at 12: 15

II Minutes from November 12, 2007 – Approved

III BANNER and Registration Updates and Issues- MZ
Feedback from meetings with Sue Harvey- We discussed the problem with the official and unofficial transcripts. I will give the E number to MHP for review-
Update Sue sent a memo stating that this will not be a modification. I sent a copy of the email to MHP.
Alternate Pin issue- Priority registration. There is no priority registration on Banner. Each department will register students as usual. The Athletic, Honors and Disability departments and Gateway will prioritize students according to their own schedule.
Net ID and password-update I discussed the information that Eric Knuth gave us regarding the history of the Net Id and passwords. We had a discussion if it made sense to have him give a presentation to the advising community. We felt that it would not be necessary.

IV DARS Update-MHP
Transfer orientation meeting

V 2008-2009 Catalog update- Should be at the printer by the beginning of March
Student Academic Handbook- At the printer. We were able to preview what it would look like. Update- Orientation received their copies for the incoming students

VI Commencement by Exceptionality Information update (CAN website) We discussed that the only place to get this form is on the CAN and the Academic Affairs website.

VII Goals for 2007/2008
Discussed changes to be made to the CAN website. I reviewed with the committee the changes that I saw that needed to be updated-advisor names, committee members and we discussed various links. Chad will fix our website based on the changes that we give him. Each college representative was given a copy of their advisors to be updated and given to Chad.
Mary Herrington- Perry- College of Arts and Humanities
Christine Chambers– College of Science
Don Dawson- Minority Affairs
Donna Dawson- College of Business
Sent Julie Dietz the copy for the College of Education and Professional Studies to be updated.

Advisorgrm/Advise~1
Should information be posted more than once a month or once a semester? The committee felt that item should be posted to the Advisorgram as important information comes up. Then we can list them once a month on Advise one explaining that the completed information will be on Advisorgram. Then once a semester we can place the full information on Advise 1.

VIII Open Discussion- Other issues/information
Meeting with Dr. Andrews (Math dept.)-Discussed MAT 1160 and 1170 the only prerequisite will be ENG 1001. Banner cannot check high school records. Dr. Andrews gave me a math pad to give him with math courses and the reasons for students being put in them. I will give a pad to Don Dawson for Gateway and Donna Dawson for IT. These two areas are more likely to have math prerequisite issues. I will copies of what the list looks like to every committee member.
Items that should be on Advisogram for this semester

Should we extend an invitation to Sue Harvey to come to our meetings or to give a presentation to us or the advising community? Mary HP said that Sue is going to set up DARs training sessions. As we discover issues with Banner, we will let Sue know and share the appropriate ones with each other through Advise one and post them on the Advisorgram.

IX Seats Committee Feedback
I updated every one that we are waiting to see how many seats will be held for the freshmen. Mary HP stated that her office would be controlling how the seats would be rolled out or each debut day. She also stated that the Deans were again reminded that Karla Sanders was waiting for the information.

X Spring 2008 meetings-Thursday, 11:30am to 1:00pm, University Food Court March 20, April 17

CAMPUS ADVISORY NETWORK
Minutes for Meeting of November 13, 2007

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Donna Dawson, Julie Dietz, Chris Mitchell, Mary Herrington-Perry, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler.
ABSENT: Don Dawson.
GUEST: Chad Cross (VPAA/Website development)

I The meeting was called to order at 12:11 pm.

II Monica Zeigler reported that there was still no response from student government
on selecting a representative; she will try again in spring.

III Minutes for the October meeting were accepted with a minor correction (Julie
Dietz’ name needed to be added to the “Members Absent” list).

IV Monica Zeigler notes that the Bylaws as posted looked good and nothing else
needed to be done.

V An evaluation summary of Faculty Training Sessions was circulated. Discussion
ensued.

VI Advisorgram issues were discussed. Suggestions included a reminder of the
change in social science requirement and of the new EWP format. Implications
of the new EWP format were also discussed at this time.

VII DARS issues were discussed. Monica Zeigler reported that the training date
had to be changed to November 29 due to scheduling difficulties with the
December date with the Library (it was the week before finals and there was
heavy demand on rooms). Mary Herrington-Perry reported that all of the
certifying officers will be invited to come. Monica Zeigler added that all
advisors, including CAN members, will be invited too. She noted that the
training room holds 24 people or so.

VIII BANNER issues were discussed. Monica Zeigler reported that there was a
meeting for feedback on BANNER held by Julie Benedict; none of the
committee members were informed of its existence.

IX Monica Zeigler noted that graduation applications were suspended this
week due to change of application and should be live on BANNER next week.
Watch for an e-mail from Sue Harvey.

X The email from Betsy Miller posted to Advise-1 today was discussed. Text follows:

“Beginning today, 11/13/07, students with 60 or more hours (junior standing), regardless of whether they have applied for graduation, that need to make changes to their major(s), minor(s), concentration(s), catalog/year and the like, must do so by contacting their certifying dean's office.

Please note that student athletes who have applied for graduation with less than 60 hours must also make changes with their certifying dean.

All other students with less than 60 hours must report to the Office of the Registrar, 1220 Old Main.”

XI Monica Zeigler announced that Dean Augustine is going to host a meeting on the
subject of Graduation by Exceptionality in January.

XII Seats Committee work was discussed. There was a concern articulated that the
target number of freshman enrollees exceeds capacity and that there will be
insufficient classes for Fall 08. Mary Herrington-Perry noted that the Deans’
council is meeting on the subject. Discussion ensued.

XIII Summer Schedule was discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry noted that it will
be online most likely by February.

XIV Catalog issues were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry announced that
“we are on the downward glide” but there will be a print catalog generated
next academic year.

XV Goals for 2007-2008 were discussed. Monica Zeigler asked if we were
still OK with doing these once per semester. Chad Cross said he would
post the Advisorgrams to the CAN website. Mary Herrington-Perry
requested a session on degree audits. Donna Dawson observed that
it would be a good idea to initiate an advising mentor program. All
seemed to agree that this would be a good idea, and that it wasn’t necessary
for mentors to be faculty members.

XVI Dates for spring meetings were discussed. It was agreed that the
Thursday slot from 11:30-1 pm in the Food Court still worked for
everyone.

XVII The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 pm.

CAMPUS ADVISORY NETWORK
Minutes for Meeting of October 16, 2007

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, , Donna Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Mary Herrington-Perry, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Don Dawson, Julie Dietz
GUEST: Chad Cross (VPAA/Website development)

I
The meeting was called to order at 12:09 pm.

II
Minutes for the September meeting were accepted.

III
Faculty Training was discussed. Monica Zeigler noted that ACALOG sessions of September 18 and 19 were well attended, and that the general comfort level of users of ACALOG has seemed to grow rapidly. Eight (8) people attended the WEBINAR of October 10, 2007 "Relating to Students through Advising."

IV
BANNER/DARS issues were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry reported that her office was set to do training, but the system experienced problems and thus has delayed things for three weeks. It will probably be December before the graduation application function will go live; she asked if we should do the training ahead of this. Monica Zeigler asked if the grade reports would be available this December. Mary Herrington-Perry said possibly, bet she's not sure. Monica Zeigler asked when training could proceed and requested a date of December 3rd. Mary Herrington-Perry agreed to this, and Monica Zeigler agreed to send out emails to this effect. Further discussion ensued an training issues.

V
Advisorgram issues were discussed. Items were submitted to Chris Mitchell at the meeting and will post to Advise-1 shortly.

VI
The issue of our student representative was discussed. Monica Zeigler said she spoke to student life and SGA and requested a representative again, but received no response.

VII
Bylaws were discussed. Chad Cross noted that changes that were specified in the September meeting were posted to the website.

VIII
COTE meetings were discussed. Monica Zeigler noted that Kari Daley of Academic Advising is in charge of this and that she would be contacted regarding the status of these.

IX
Budget issues were discussed. The consensus of the committee was that posting of budget expenditures on the CAN website as not necessary.

X
Seats Committee feedback was discussed. Monica Zeigler said that the meeting with the Deans focused on the method of determining how/when to increase seats. Mary Herrington-Perry noted that the goal of enrollment was 1900 in the freshman class and was met; the yield this year was around 35%. Discussion ensued on the topic.

XI
Monica Zeigler reminded the committee of the meeting November 13 from 12-1:30 pm in the food court, and that she would like to devote it to goals.

XII
The meeting was adjourned at 1:17 pm.

CAMPUS ADVISORY NETWORK
Minutes for Meeting of September 11, 2007

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Don Dawson, Donna Dawson, Chris Mitchell, Mary Herrington-Perry, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: none.
GUEST: Chad Cross (VPAA/Website development)

I
The meeting was called to order at 12:06 pm.

II
Minutes for the April meeting were accepted.

III
A reminder of the upcoming CAN Advisor Training Sessions and the
upcoming Advising Webinar was given by Monica Zeigler.

IV
ACALOG issues were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry reported that the online catalog was completely redone, and recommended advisors look it over before the advising period begins this semester. Monica Zeigler reported that the New Student Handbook was successful in her estimation; the rest of the committee concurred. Monica Zeigler asked if advisors were receiving print catalogs this year; Mary Herrington-Perry said she wasn’t sure, as this wasn’t in her control. Mary Herrington-Perry suggested that lists be compiled of important issues that arise with respect to the catalog. All agreed this would be a good idea.

V
BANNER/DARS issues were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry reported that ITS was not yet done with the DARS project; she hopes that by the end of the month enough will be online to allow folks to do their work. Discussion ensued on the possibility of generating batch degree audits for advisors. Christine Chambers asked if alternate PINs were online for spring; Donna Dawson said yes, they were.

VI
CAN Bylaws and the CAN Website were discussed. Monica Zeigler requested that the committee look at the printouts of the website content Chad Cross generated and make sure all is OK. Discussion ensued with Chad Cross on the form and content of the website, and minor changes were requested—notably the amending of the “circle” structure on the main CAN page: (1) change of the “Gateway” circle to “Minority Affairs”; (2) addition of the Academic Success Center to the “Athletics / Disability Services /Honors” circle; and (3) addition of Admissions to the “Records Office /Transfer Coordinator” circle. In the Bylaws, the “Removal” clause was updates for language clarity. All agreed to these changes. Monica Zeigler requested that the committee revisit the issue later, including the concern that Chris Mitchell articulated about how expenditure of CAN funds should be reported.

VII
Goals for 2007-8 and future agendas were discussed. Chris Mitchell reminded the committee that October’s meeting was the time for collection of information for the fall Advisorgram. Monica Zeigler requested that further agenda items be e-mailed to her.

VIII
The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 pm.

CAMPUS ADVISORY NETWORK

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Don Dawson, Julie Dietz, Chris Mitchell, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler, Chad Cross (special guest from VPAA)
ABSENT: Mary Herrington-Perry, Rose Myers-Bradley, Mark Feimer (student rep.)
GUEST: Chad Cross (Website update)-cmcross@eiu.edu

I The meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm. Minutes for February and March were accepted.

II Banner updates were discussed. We discussed how we can get Banner information to the faculty more effectively. The faculty training discussion continued.

III The bylaws were discussed. Together we made changes to update the bylaws that would give us better representation on the committee.

IV The CAN website content was discussed. Chad had already made changes to make the website look more inviting. He will update the bylaws when we have completed the changes.

A - The Advisorgram was discussed as a subcomponent of the CAN website. The agreed-upon procedure for future Advisorgrams is as follows:
1. Information will be collected at the September meeting
2. This information will be summarized as the Advisorgram, to be posted on the website in October (before the October/November advising session).
3. Future semesters should follow this model.

B - Advise-1 was discussed, particularly the question of how to get new advisors enrolled. Monica said she would collect the emails of new advisors and have them added to Advise-1.

V One of the goals for 2007/2008 was to concentrate on faculty training. Monica will find the advisor for student government in order to get a student representative for the committee.

VI The committee decided that monitoring the Prowl information booth was not a good use of our time or resources. In addition, based on the information that the students were asking, it was better for the advising staff at 9th St to take turns monitoring the booth as they were the generalists.

VII Monica Zeigler volunteered to be Chairperson for another year. Chris Mitchell volunteered to be Vice Chairperson for another year. Rose Myers- Bradley will be replaced by Donna Dawson.

VIII The fall 2007 meeting dates have been adjusted. We will meet from 12 to 1:30 in the University Food Court on the following Tuesdays:
September 11
October 16
November 13

The meeting was adjourned at 1:15pm

CAMPUS ADVISORY NETWORK
Minutes for Meeting of February 20, 2007

PRESENT: Christine Chambers, Don Dawson, Julie Dietz, Mary Herrington-Perry, Chris Mitchell, Rose Myers-Bradley, Bonnie Wilson, Monica Zeigler
ABSENT: Mark Feimer (student rep.)

I. Meeting called to order by Monica Zeigler at 12:00 pm. Minutes from meeting of November 14, 2006 were accepted with no corrections.

II. BANNER Updates were discussed. There was a concern expressed regarding the
College of Business’ restrictions with their minors. Mary Herrington-Perry stated
that ITS was still having a problem with the DARS interface. She said it would
not be ready for fall.

III. Issues related to the training of Faculty Advisor were discussed. Monica Zeigler
announced that the Academic Advising Center is sending letters to department
chairs to elicit items from faculty as to what needs to be addressed in faculty training, which days/dates are best for training, etc. The aim is to improve
attendance for training sessions, and faculty need to attend training sessions more than ever with the introduction of BANNER, ACALOG, etc. Mary Herrington-Perry suggested that this be done one month prior to the next Deans’ Council meeting, which is the week after spring break. Julie Dietz suggested that training be later in the semester, such as the week after finals. Don Dawson stressed that more choices are needed for faculty as to dates they might attend. Mary Herrington-Perry requested that Monica Zeigler attend the Deans’ Council to present these concerns. Monica Zeigler agreed to do this.

IV. Mary Herrington-Perry gave an update as to the progress of the Student Academic
Handbook and the Catalog. She said that she would have some hard copies of the new Handbook for the CAN Steering Committee next meeting (March) and that the handbook would be distributed at Freshman Orientation this year. Monica Zeigler requested that advisors have a hard copy of the catalog this year, and Mary Herrington-Perry agreed that that would happen. Chris Mitchell asked if there is an assessment plan in place for the handbook, and Mary Herrington-Perry agreed that this would be a good idea, perhaps using the older students to assess. Monica Zeigler asked if the print catalog would be ready by May 15, and Mary Herrington-Perry said yes, it would.

V. The status of the updating of the CAN website and of the needs for the Advisorgram were discussed. Monica Zeigler suggested that the agenda and minutes of CAN meetings be posted to the website in order to keep our proceedings as transparent as possible. She also suggested that the Advisorgram be published twice yearly, in a summary format at the end of each semester. This would not bar urgent information being posted to the Advise-1 listserve as needed. Julie Dietz suggested that a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section for advisors be posted to the site. Monica Zeigler said she would prepare a tentative list of FAQ for the steering committee to review and comment upon— along the general theme of “questions new advisors might ask.”

VI. Monica Zeigler elicited feedback from the steering committee as to the success of the Sandy Cox presentation of February 6, 2007 and the Webinar “Strengths-Based Advising” of February 14, 2007. The response was generally good; attendance was 22 people at the presentation. Monica Zeigler asked the committee as to what would be a good date to reschedule the screening of the video “The Forgotten Student”? Julie Dietz said we might want to postpone the screening until faculty-training discussion was completed, based on the fact that we were not achieving desired attendance levels from faculty advisors. She questioned the feasibility of face-to-face time for advisor training and asked which is more important— information or personal contact? Christine Chambers asked if the training sessions could be videotaped and possibly posted on the CAN website. Julie Dietz suggested that an archive of “really useful stuff”— videos, FAQ, etc.— would be ideal for the website. Mary Herrington-Perry noted that she had someone on staff who’s very proficient in web design matters. Julie Dietz suggested that the committee survey faculty as to which topics are relevant. Mary Herrington-Perry observed that an overhaul of the CAN website is necessary, and could we devote a meeting to it? She said a computer person from the VPAA office, Chad Cross, could come in to talk about it if the committee desired. All were in agreement that this was a good idea, and the aim was to do this for next meeting.

VII. Other New Business items were discussed. Mary Herrington-Perry brought up the topic of Senior Seminar classes: does the committee want to restrict them to those of senior status only? (Presently, BANNER can’t check for 75 cu completed.) The consensus of the committee was yes, we should. Mary Herrington-Perry also noted that all transfer work will be in the mainframe for the present time. She further noted that by Fall 2007 (for classes Spring 2008) all prerequisites will be in place in the BANNER system; very few are in at present. (BANNER considers only courses and test prerequisites as well as “restrictions” by major, by class, etc. Furthermore, BANNER can’t check for minors.) Julie Dietz suggested that there be a blog on the CAN website so faculty could post concerns about and responses to the BANNER system, to be kept all semester and “wiped clean” at the beginning of the next. The consensus was that this was a good idea and that Chad Cross might be able to help us with that too.

IX. The meeting was adjourned at 1:42 pm.