Admission & Advisement in the
School of Business
School of Business Admission
Students who have completed 60 semester hours and have met the School of Business admission requirements listed below are eligible to apply for admission. Lower division students (freshmen and sophomores) and others who plan to pursue a business major are classified as pre-business students until they are admitted to the School of Business. Students generally are eligible to apply for admission to the School of Business during the second semester of their sophomore year.
- Admission Requirements
- Applying to the School of Business
- Applying to the School of Business as a Transfer Student
- Admission Status
School of Business Advisement
Upon admission to the School of Business, you are assigned an academic advisor. The primary goal of the academic advisor is one of advocate and liaison for you. Sessions with an advisor are required prior to the next semester of classes. Academic advisors are aware of and communicate to you the requirements and prerequisites for each business major. Although course selection is an important part of advising, degree requirements, career guidance, academic difficulties, and personal issues may also be discussed. During the course of an advising appointment, questions and concerns can be confidentially addressed and shared between you and your advisor. Advisors are always available throughout the semester to answer questions and provide support. Although you are ultimately responsible for your own progress, your academic advisor is a valuable resource. Building a relationship of trust between you and your academic advisor is an integral factor in your success.
To be added to a School of Business class that is closed, complete the following online form: Online Closed Class Request Form (available online only, and ONLY for School of Business classes).
In coordination with your advisor, you may have a need to fill out a Course Equivalency Substitution form.
- Good academic standing (cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 in courses taken at EIU)
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 (2.75 for admission to the accounting program*)
- At least 60 semester hours of university course work completed
- Completed all of the following courses (tool courses) with a grade of C or better in each:MAT 2120G Finite MathematicsBUS 1950 Computer Concepts and Applications for Business (Prerequisite: MAT 1270 or equivalent)BUS 2102 Managerial Accounting (Prerequisite: BUS 2101 with a C or better)BUS 2810 Business Statistics I (Prerequisite: 30 semester hours)Transfer students must have completed or be enrolled in courses equivalent to the business tool courses. See Information for Transfer Students
*Students who want to major in accounting may be eligible for Admission by Exception to the accounting program if they meet all School of Business admission requirements but have a GPA less than 2.75.
If you are currently enrolled at Eastern Illinois University, you may apply for admission to the School of Business if you meet the Admission Requirements or will complete the requirements in the current semester.
You may submit an application at anytime that you meet the Admission Requirements, but no later than 4:30 p.m. on the last business day prior to the beginning of the semester for which admission is desired. You may submit your application for consideration on-line through PAWS. Use these instructions for the on-line application.
If you are transferring to Eastern Illinois University and want to pursue a business major, indicate your intended major on your application to EIU.
If you already have met the School of Business Admission Requirements at the time that you apply to EIU, no separate application is needed for the School of Business. You will automatically be considered for admission to the School of Business. Notification of your admission status will be sent to your EIU e-mail account.
If you have not fully met the School of Business admission requirements at the time that you apply to EIU but will meet the Admission Requirements at the end of that semester, your application to EIU will serve as your application for conditional admission to the School of Business. However, you must submit updated official transcripts from your transfer institution immediately after completing those courses to be considered for full admission to the School of Business. Transcripts from your transfer institution should to be sent to: Eastern Illinois University, Office of Registrar, 600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston IL 61920. Notification of your admission status will be sent to your EIU e-mail account.
If you do not meet the School of Business admission requirements at the time that you apply to EIU, you will be classified as a pre-business student if you are admitted to Eastern Illinois University. You may apply for admission to the School of Business, using the on-line application, at a later date when you meet the admission requirements.
For more information, visit our Transferring to the School of Business at EIU page.
- You will receive an e-mail message sent to your EIU e-mail account notifying you of your admission status.You will be granted full admission if you meet all admission requirements at the time of application. To get the name of your academic advisor go to PAWS and then follow this path: Main Menu/Student and Student Records/View Student Information. The information there will include your advisor's name.
- You will be granted conditional admission if you meet the application criteria but are currently enrolled in one or more of the tool courses and/or you are currently enrolled in courses that will complete the required 60 hours. Upon completion of these requirements you will be granted full admission.
- Conditional admission allows you to register for upper-division business courses during the pre-registration period for the semester for which you requested admission. Before registering, you must meet with your academic advisor to plan your schedule.
- If you are granted conditional admission, you must complete all of the admission requirements prior to the semester for which you requested admission or your conditional admission will be revoked.
- Conditionally admitted students who do not complete the admission requirements continue to be classified as pre-business students and must submit a new application for admission to the School of Business.
Students denied admission may appeal to the School of Business Committee on Admissions. Decisions of the Committee on Admissions are final.
For More Information About Admissions:
Students Currently Enrolled at EIU
School of Business Student Center for Academic & Professional Development
Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences
Lumpkin Hall, Room 2051
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920
Students Transferring to EIU
Office of Admissions
Old Main, Room 1229
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920