The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into either the Online Art Education or Community Arts MA program options. Applications are accepted any time.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
32 semester hours without thesis.Art Education Coursework Online 9 semester hours of required Art Education coursework:
- ART 5500 – Foundations of Art Education. Credits: 3
- ART 5800 - Research Methods in Art Education. Credits: 3
- ART 5970 - Individualized Study in Art Education. Credits: 3
- ART 5510 - Curriculum Design & Assessment in Art Education. Credits: 3
- ART 5506 – Artistic Development: Contemporary Perspectives on Artistic Learning from Birth through Adulthood Credits: 3
- ART 5989 – Media & Methods: Credit: 1 (May be repeated once)
- ART 5515 – Art, Culture, & Community: Alternative Sites for Art Education Credits: 3
- ART 5520 – Creative Technology in Art Education Credits: 3
- ART 5785 – Navigating the Virtual Museum Credits: 3
- ART 5786 – Special Topics in Art History Credits: 3
- 6 semester hours of art studio coursework
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!
Frequently asked questions
Is the GRE or MAT required? No.
Is a thesis required? No.
How long will it take to complete the degree requirements? The timing depends on the student's flexibility and availability. Program planning is in consultation with and approval of the assigned academic advisor. The program may potentially be completed in two calendar years consisting of summer, fall, and spring.