The EIU Alumni Association is proud to recognize the academic achievements, community service, university involvement and outstanding potential of current and incoming students by awarding a number of scholarships each year to qualified candidates.
Alumni and friends who have contributed to the Annual Giving Program and/or are dues-paying members of the Alumni Association take great pride in knowing a portion of their gift dollars or membership dues is used to recognize and reward outstanding students.
If you have any questions please contact 800-ALUM-EIU (258-6348).
- The recipient shall be a child or grandchild of an Eastern Illinois University graduate.
- The recipient shall begin his/her first semester at Eastern Illinois University in the fall of the calendar year in which the award is given.
- The recipient shall have a minimum of a 4.0 GPA on a 5.0 scale.
- The recipient shall demonstrate enthusiastic and outstanding leadership as evidenced by his/her involvement in extracurricular activities.
Applicants should send a letter, detailing how they meet the qualifications of this scholarship, including how she or he is related to an Eastern alumna/us and if that person is a member of the EIU Alumni Association. Two letters of recommendation along with high school and/or college transcripts need to be included as well.
Jamie Fitzgerald, chair
Legacy Scholarship Committee
EIU Alumni Association
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
The application deadline is Feb. 1.
Any student who is the child or grandchild of an EIU graduate and will be enrolling at EIU for the first time in the fall of 2014 is eligible to apply for the $1000 Legacy Scholarships, which are funded through the proceeds of the collegiate license plate program offered by the Illinois Secretary of State. In conjunction with this, the EIU Alumni Association offers two $2500 awards annually to recipients whose parents or grandparents are members of the Alumni Association. Membership in the Alumni Association is not a factor in the awarding of the $1000 scholarships.
Livingston C. Lord Scholarship
- The recipient must be an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree program leading to teacher certification and planning for a career in elementary, middle level or secondary education.
- The recipient must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or higher.
- The recipient must be of junior status and have attained at least 30 hours of credit at Eastern Illinois University by the beginning of the fall semester in which the award is to be given.
- Additionally, nominees must have at least 24 credit hours remaining in their respective degree programs at the beginning of the fall semester in which the award is to be given.
Apply (By Nomination Only*)
- Nominations may only be submitted by an EIU faculty member/department chair.
- Nominations should be submitted via this online form and should include a written recommendation by the nominating faculty member/department chair as to why the nominee should be considered for the award.
- Although the Alumni Association secures additional information and recommendations, members of the selection committee place great value on the original recommendation.
The deadline to nominate for the 2015 award is Nov. 17, 2014.
This scholarship was established by the Alumni Association in honor of Eastern's first president, and for decades has been considered the University's most prestigious award for academic excellence. It is the only scholarship for which the recipients are honored annually during the spring commencement ceremony. A maximum of five awards are presented annually. The monetary award for each of the five scholarships presented in 2014 was $7,030.13.
Please keep in mind that it is possible for more than one student from a department to receive this scholarship and we welcome multiple nominations.
TC High/Eastern State High School Alumni Scholarship
- The recipient shall have a minimum 4.0 GPA on a 5.0 point scale upon completion of 3 1/2 years of high school.
- The recipient shall demonstrate integrity (incorruptible uprightness), as evidenced by submitting three letters of recommendation from community leaders.
- The recipient shall demonstrate enthusiastic and outstanding leadership, as evidenced by his/her involvement in organizations whose purpose is to foster consideration and service.
- The recipient shall be a graduate of Charleston High School or a direct descendant of a Teachers College/Eastern State High School alumnus.
Applicants should send a letter, detailing how they meet the qualifications of this scholarship, including how she or he is related to a Teachers College/Eastern State High School or Charleston High School alumna/us. Three letters of recommendation along with high school transcripts must be included as well.
Interim Director, Financial Aid
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
The deadline to apply is no later than 4:30 p.m., March 13, 2015.
The monetary amount varies from year to year.