Academic Advising Center
The Academic Advising Center has nine advisors plus the Director and two support staff. The Academic Advising Center employs appreciative advising to foster student learning and development through its vision statement:
- Assist students in the exploration of educational options and the planning of their academic program.
- Provide accurate information regarding academic progress requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Teach students how to accept responsibility for their choices and decisions concerning their academic and educational goals.
- Consider the personal abilities, talents, and interests of students when advising them about courses or programs.
- Train and assist advisors across campus to ensure they are aware of Appreciative Advising techniques.
The Academic Advising Center (AAC) assists students with course selection, career goals and major selection. The Center continues to be the hub of the network for those who advise students across the entire campus of Eastern Illinois University. The AAC serves as a resource to many offices and departments, especially in the area of general education classes. The Center cultivates opportunities for expanded communication, dissemination of information, and clarification of policy and procedure changes. It is often called upon to assist in advising students from other departments because of the wide range of general knowledge the advisors possess about academic policy and the university’s majors and minors. This is in addition to its mandated unit responsibilities.